Signs - FAQ
Where can I find a copy of the Temporary Signs on Highways Bylaw?
You can download an uncertified copy of the Temporary Signs on Highways Bylaw 29M97, or visit the City Clerk's Department for a certified copy.
Where are the prohibited streets for any temporary signs located?
Here is the current list of Prohibited Roads where the Traffic Engineer has banned the use of temporary signs. Please also refer to the map for additional guidance. Though this list is comprehensive, you can contact the office of the Traffic Engineer at Roads.Director@calgary.ca for the most up to date list.
PROHIBITED ROADS LIST
TEMPORARY SIGNS ON HIGHWAYS BYLAW 29M97
|Road: 3 Ave NW||From: Complete Roadway|
|Road: 14 Street West||From: Complete Roadway|
|Road: 16 Avenue/Trans Canada Highway||From: Complete Roadway|
|Road: 17 Avenue SE||From: 26 Street SE||To: 19 Street SE
(end of Blackfoot Trail)
|Road: 36 Street East||From: Memorial Drive||To: McKnight Boulevard|
|Road: 37 Street SW||From: Fish Creek Boulevard SW||To: Anderson Road|
|Road: 37 Street SW||From: 58 Avenue SW||To: 46 Avenue SW|
|Road: 52 Street SE||From: 130 Ave SE||To: Peigan Trail SE|
|Road: 61 Avenue SE||From: Centre Street||To: Macleod Trail|
|Road: 85 Street NW||From: Complete Roadway |
|Road: 114 Avenue SE||From: Stoney Trail||To: Barlow Trail|
|Road: 144 Avenue NW||From: Shaganappi Trail||To: West City Limit|
|Road: Airport Trail||From: Metis Trail||To: Deerfoot Trail|
|Road: Anderson Road||From: Complete Roadway |
|Road: Barlow Trail||From: Complete Roadway |
|Road: Beddington Trail||From: Complete Roadway |
|Road: Bow Bottom Trail||From: Canyon Meadows Drive||To: Deerfoot Trail|
|Road: Bow Trail SW||From: Pumphouse Avenue SW||To: 85 Street SW|
|Road: Blackfoot Trail||From: Complete Roadway |
|Road: Country Hills Boulevard NE||From: East City Limits||To: Coventry Boulevard NE|
|Road: Country Hills Boulevard NW||From: Beddington Trail NW||To: Shaganappi Trail NW|
|Road: Crowchild Trail||From: Complete Roadway |
|Road: Deerfoot Trail||From: Complete Roadway |
|Road: Elbow Drive||From: Anderson Road||To: 4 Street SW|
|Road: Glenmore Trail||From: Complete Roadway |
|Road: John Laurie Boulevard||From: Complete Roadway |
|Road: Macleod Trail||From: Complete Roadway |
|Road: Marquis of Lorne Trail/ Spruce Meadows Trail||From: Complete Roadway |
|Road: McKnight Boulevard||From: East City Limit||To: Edmonton Trail|
|Road: Memorial Drive||From: 36 Street SE||To: Centre Street North|
|Road: Metis Trail||From: McKnight Boulevard||To: Stoney Trail|
|Road: Mount Royal Gate||From: Crowchild Trail||To: Richard Road|
|Road: Sarcee Trail SW||From: Glenmore Trail||To: 16 Avenue NW/Trans Canada Highway|
|Road: Sarcee Trail NW||From: Crowchild Trail||To: Country Hills Boulevard|
|Road: Shaganappi Trail||From: Complete Roadway |
|Road: Southland Drive||From: Complete Roadway|
|Road: Stoney Trail||From: Complete Roadway|
|Road: Symons Valley Road||From: Stoney Trail||To: North City Limit|
When is a temporary sign illegal when placed on municipal property?
- It is closer than 15 metres to any intersection.
- It is within 20 metres of a sign which is posted by the same owner or depicts, advertises or promotes the same idea.
- It is placed within a Playground Zone or School Zone.
- It is closer than 30 metres to any intersection, City bus shelter, transit bench, bus zone, LRT station or LRT platform.
- It is closer than 2 metres from the curb or edge of the road where there is no curb.
- It is placed on any traffic island or the centre median.
- It has a sign face larger than 0.6 square metre (approximately 2X3 feet).
- Is higher than 0.92 metres (3 feet) when measured from grade to the highest part of the sign.
- It obstructs any portion of any traffic control device or creates a potential traffic or pedestrian hazard.
- It is attached to a street light pole, a traffic signal pole (with limited exceptions) or any decorative street light pole.
- It does not have, on the face of the sign, the name, mailing address and phone number of the owner and the date the sign was set out.
- It is displayed for longer than 14 days from the date on the sign or more than 24 hours after the date of any advertised event concludes, whichever is less.
- It has a position, shape, colour, format or illumination which is similar to a Traffic Control Device.
- It is attached to a sound attenuation wall.
- It is lit, electrified or inflatable.
- It is permanently affixed.
- It is supported by string, rope or metal guide-wire.
- It is on, attached to or within 2 metres of a fire hydrant.
- It is attached on or within a Plus 15 bridge.
- It is erected in any prohibited or restricted area.
- It is placed over a street or on or within a pedestrian walkway or overpass.
- It does not have on the face of the sign the name, mailing address and phone number of the owner and the date the sign was set out.