What to do during a fire
How to prepare for or prevent a fire
The Home Safety Program emphasizes three key ways to reduce fire hazards in the home:
- Develop a Home Escape Plan
- Maintain smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms
- Complete the Home Fire Safety Checklist with your family
For more information, visit our fire safety and prevention page.
Staying safe during a fire
- Get everyone out of your home immediately if you smell smoke or see a fire.
- Alert others in your home or sound the fire alarm if you live in an apartment building.
- Meet with family members or residents of your home at the meeting place you chose when developing your home escape plan.
- Phone 911 from a safe phone outside your home.
- Do not go back into the building for any reason.
- Stop, drop and roll if your clothing catches fire - do not run.
- Do not use elevators inside an apartment building. Learn about special fire safety features for high-rise buildings.
- Inform emergency crews of any missing persons or pets and any other risks such as combustible and hazardous materials that may be in your home.