Download the revised Conflict of Interest Policy
Leader tool: Conflict of Interest Discussion Record Template
If you have questions about the revised Conflict of Interest Policy you can speak to exempt leaders in one of the following:
- your exempt Supervisor, Director or General Manager
- City Auditor’s Office
- Corporate Security
- Law – Legal Services
- HR Business Partner
- Labour Relations, Human Resources
- Business Associate – Any person legally linked with the employee, including but not limited to, in business contracts, partnerships, firms, enterprises, franchises, trusts, joint ventures, finances, real estate, or in other for-profit legal entities or agreements.
- City Assets – Includes City buildings and land, equipment, supplies, stores, vehicles, materials, technology resources, financial assets, information and work time. Please note this is not a complete list.
- Confidential Information – Any information which is not public property, or in the public domain, and/or would cause harm to individuals or The City if improperly disclosed. Confidential Information includes information communicated in confidence, either by being expressly identified as confidential, or because the character of the information is obviously confidential. Confidential Information includes information classified as Restricted and Confidential as set out in The City’s Information Security Classification Standard, but does not include information classified as Unrestricted by that Standard.
- Gifts, Hospitality and Other Benefits – Includes items such as meals, beverages, invitations to social or recreational events, accommodation and travel. Please note this is not a complete list.
- Nominal Value – Defined as having a perceived value of $25 or less.
- Outside Interests – This includes, but is not limited to, secondary employment, business undertakings or ownership, teaching and involvement with charitable, political, community service and professional organization.
- Personal Relationship – Involves a relationship of a romantic nature or a relationship which is sufficiently close that objectivity is either impaired or may be perceived to be impaired.
- Political Activity – Includes, but is not limited to, being a candidate for elected office, campaigning for a candidate for elected office, fundraising for an election campaign, and/or promoting a political party or cause.
- Relative – Is an individual with whom the employee has a family relationship and includes, without limitation, an employee’s:
● Husband, wife, common law spouse, adult interdependent partner, legally separated spouse
● Children and grandchildren (including foster or step)
● Parents (including foster or step) and parents-in-law
● Brothers & sisters (including foster or step) & brothers-in-law & sisters-in-law
● Sons-in-law or daughters-in-law
● Niece or nephew
● Uncle or aunt