June 2023 Community Safety Activities and Updates
Calgary Police Service (CPS):
- District 5 Mountain Bike Unit patrolling transit seized several weapons including bear spray and a taser.
Alpha House Ambassadors:
- Operating in the Business Improvement Areas of 17th Avenue, 4th Street, Beltline, Chinatown, and Victoria Park.
- ~100 business interactions, ~680 client interactions, and ~40 needle pickups.
Washroom Attendant Pilot Project (Olympic Plaza and Century Gardens):
- Partnered with Hiregood, an established washroom attendant program in Edmonton, they provided consultation and mentorship to the washroom attendants.
- ~ 5170 interactions and ~1150 referrals to support services.
Improved social support access and navigation
HELP (formerly DOAP) Call Diversion program:
- Diverted ~300 calls from CPS in District 1 to Alpha House’s HELP Team, who responded by providing resources such as referrals, transports, and housing supports.
City peace officers:
- Officers received ~750 encampment calls and connected three individuals to housing supports.
Calgary Homeless Foundation’s Transit Outreach Initiative:
- Monthly outreach event held at alternating LRT stations.
- Event held at Westbrook LRT with ~10 outreach services who supported ~40 individuals with basic needs and health supplies.
Resilient people and communities
4th Street Lilac Festival (June 4):
- Hosted by 4th Street Business Improvement Area, this one-day event provided an array of musicians, vendors, and family friendly activities.
- ~80,000 in attendance.
Festival of Colors (June 17):
- International Society for Krishna Consciousness hosted this annual event with live entertainment, food, and displays of colours.
- ~2,000 in attendance.
Blackfoot Tipi Transfer Ceremony (June 21):
- Hosted at Prince’s Island Park with representation from the Treaty Seven Nations and the Metis.
- The event included a cultural celebration with drummers, dancers, and food.
- ~1,000 in attendance.