Make time to relax and reflect with these simple activities that focus on breathing, mind and body.
Activity 1: Mindful breathing
- Sit in a comfortable spot. Bring one hand to your belly and your other hand to your heart.
- Take a deep breath in and a deep breath out.
- Do you feel your heart? Notice how fast or slow it is beating.
- As you take a deep breath in, try to make both of your hands lift.
- Breathe into your belly and your chest. Breathe out from your chest and your belly.
- Notice how you feel
Activity 2: Mindful reflection
- Sit down so you're comfortable.
- Notice 1 thing you can taste.
- Notice 2 things you can smell.
- Notice 3 things you can feel.
- Notice 4 things you can hear.
- Finally, notice 5 things you can see.
Activity 3: Mindful body
- Sit in a comfortable spot.
- Take a deep breath in and bring your hands together.
- Start rubbing your hands together slowly. Now a little bit faster.
- Count down from 10. When you get to zero stop your rubbing your hands together but keep them pressed together.
- Notice how your hands feel and notice the warmth you created with a bit of movement.
Activity 4: Mindful relaxation
- Lay down on your back and close your eyes.
- Starting with your feet, gently squeeze your muscles for 10 seconds and slowly release.
- Next, squeeze the large muscles in your calves for 10 seconds and gently release. Work your way up your body.
- Squeeze your thigh muscles for 10 seconds and gently release.
- Squeeze and release your hips and bum for 10 seconds.
- Squeeze your abdomen and chest next, then gently release.
- Make both hands into fists and squeeze tightly for 10 seconds and release.
- Point your arms out straight and squeeze tightly, then release.
- Finally, focus on your neck and shoulders. Raise your shoulders up towards your ears and squeeze for 10 seconds, then release.
- Gently move your head from side to side 2-3 times and then relax.