North Mount Pleasant Arts Centre Area Improvements
The first phase of the North Mount Pleasant Art Centre Area Improvements project moved into construction in October of 2022. The focus of our work in this phase was on the area of the future community garden located in the southeast corner of the property, closest to 4 Street and 25 Avenue N.W.
Due to snowfall and cold temperatures which arrived in early November, no additional construction activities will be completed on-site in 2022. The contractor will re-mobilize to site in the spring of 2023 once the ground thaws. This date is weather dependent and expected to be in April or May of 2023. Further construction activity updates will be provided at that time.
The Art Centre area and new sidewalk and pathway construction completion are expected in summer 2023.
The work proposed in this project includes:
- Multi-use outdoor programmable space
- Bike racks
- Accessibility upgrades
- An accessible pottery wheel
- 9th St. N.W. between 23rd Ave. & 24th Ave. N.W.
- Sidewalk and pathway connecting Seventh St. to 27th Ave. N.W.
- 26th Ave. between Fourth & Fifth St. N.W. (south side of Arts Centre)
The Mount Pleasant public realm improvement project will improve or upgrade infrastructure in this community.
Once constructed, the improvements will encourage people to explore and spend time in the spaces within their communities and support continued reinvestment in the community.
The sidewalk improvements are part of Calgary’s Pedestrian Strategy to make Calgary safer, more comfortable and interesting for walking.
Capital investment in this project will generate nine full-time jobs and contribute almost $1.3 million to the GDP (based on Infrastructure Calgary’s economic impact assessment model).
A portion of the greenspace will be unavailable for the 2022 fall and spring 2023 seasons. A portion of the new community garden space will be available to the community for the 2023 planting season, and the remainder completed in summer of 2023.
The contractor will adhere to The City’s Community Standards Bylaw, 5M2004 for hours of operation, material storage and construction best practices, including dust mitigation. If you have questions, please contact 311.
The City of Calgary works to preserve as many trees as possible throughout construction; however, as part of the enabling works planned for 2022, we know that some trees in the existing area will be removed prior to construction. We are reviewing the tree proximity to construction activity to ensure long-term viability of the trees once construction is complete. Following this review, some of the trees in poor condition or those negatively impacted by construction, will be removed. We expect to remove 12 trees as part of the construction, and when we're finished construction, there will be approximately 31 new trees planted as part of the North Mount Pleasant Art Centre Improvements Project.
The estimated cost of this work is $2.1 million. Most of the funding is provided by the Established Area Growth and Change Strategy Capital Fund.
- September 24, 2018, Established Area Growth and Change Strategy – Scoping Report presented to City Council (PFC2018-0891).
- November 2019 - December 2020, Community conversations about potential improvements to the local public realm.
- February 3, 2020, Council approved Notice of Motion (PFC2020-0131) to provide $30 million for public realm improvements in the established area.
- May 25, 2020, Phase 1 recommendations approved by City Council (PFC2020-0381).
- December 2020, Phase 2 progress update to Committee (PFC2020-1245).
- 2021, Design development and public engagement.
- Spring/summer 2022, new sidewalks and pathway construction begins
- Fall of 2022, art centre area construction begin.
- In summer 2023, the art centre area and new sidewalk and pathway construction are expected to be completed.
North Mount Pleasant Arts Centre Area Improvements — New sidewalks and pathway missing links