Data, Analytics & Information Access plan and budget
Data, Analytics & Information Access (DA&IA) provides Geographic Information System (GIS) platforms, Imagery, intellectual property management, innovation training and consulting services, Computer-Aided Design and Drafting (CADD) platforms, asset drafting, base maps, addressing and open data hubs for administration, council and citizens.
We connect customers with accurate, consistent location intelligence data and analytics. We also support emergency response and recovery under the Municipal Emergency Plan, 911 dispatch routing and mapping, open data, advanced analytics and engineering design, to enable more proactive data-driven decisions, improved services, reduced cost and time saved.
- City services
- Federal and Provincial Government Agencies
- Energy and Telecommunications Utilities
- School Boards
- Civic Partners and Related Authorities
- Post-Secondary Institutions
- Professional Institutions and Associations
- Not for Profits
- General Public
- Other City business units
- University of Calgary
- Mount Royal University
- Calgary Housing
- Calgary Airport Authority
- Calgary Police Service
- Municipal Emergency Partners
- Downtown Strategy
- Platform Calgary
- Calgary Economic Development
Value to Calgarians
- reliable and accessible City data, analytics, maps, drawings and open data
What we deliver
Data, information, products/services:
- data.calgary.ca portal
- eCommerce solutions
- design, construction & record drawings
- base maps and addresses
- CAD standards
- map gallery
- vehicle routing
- imagery and LiDAR derived products
- 3D models
- advanced analytics
- scanning and content management
- GIS location intelligence
- maps.calgary.ca gallery
- innovation tools & training
service plan budget
|Data, Analytics & Information Access|
Expected 2026 performance.
# of mapping product views on calgary.ca
2021 was 3.8M
# of City employees accessing GIS data and mapping products
New measure, no historical data
Base Map updates - registered survey plans that are mapped within 21 days of receipt
2021 was 95%
Addressing updates - external addressing service requests resolved withing 10 days of receipt
2021 was 24%
# of open data sets available on Open Data Portal
2021 was 372
What we've heard
Global trends indicate that Data Analytics and Data Governance are increasingly important for cities to remain competitive. Open data and transparency are increasingly important for municipal governments to build and maintain trust with citizens.
Customers value the availability and accessibility of data to optimize their operations and find innovative ways of doing business. They also value data quality and responsive service, enabling them to make more informed decisions. Based on interactions with customers, it is known that they value the ability to customize service offerings for their unique needs.Participate and view results of City research
What we're watching
- Local Governments are experiencing a digital shift to using data and AI technology to increase efficiency and deliver value as they evolve to meet the needs of citizens, the economy, and the environment. However, many of these new technologies and data have yet to be fully leveraged for strategic planning and City operations.
- Modernizing and ensuring an equitable approach to human centered service design and delivery is necessary, supported by innovation tools & methodologies. In addition, population growth will increase demand for services, products and infrastructure.
- Public access to authoritative data and transparency of City operations is an ongoing trend that builds trust, allowing further connections and innovative uses of City data. It promotes data mining, location intelligence, 3D visualization and virtual/augmented reality.
These insights enable The City to make smarter investments in infrastructure, and develop services that better meet the evolving needs of Calgarians.
What we plan to do
The DA&IA service focuses on connecting customers with data, analytics, tools, dashboards, visualizations, innovation practices and transformative technology solutions, to enable informed decision-making and supports collaboration, to improve City services for citizens, businesses, and city staff.
How we're going to get there
- Create, manage and provide corporate-wide geospatial technology, data and analytics that are reliable, secure and accessible for customers and Calgarians.
- Provide City operational groups with tools and analytics to deliver their services more efficiently and providing them greater insight into strategic decision making.
- Promote and expand the use of location-based tools and data by customers and Calgarians to enable self-service and open access to geospatial information.
- Develop and support the Corporation’s advanced analytics practice, providing guidance, sharing best practices and developing corporate data analytics and governance solutions.
- Support information access by creating a corporate infrastructure and business process for automated inbound and outbound transfers of information regarding critical City infrastructure assets (Gas. Electric, Telecommunications, Water, Sewer).