Protecting Calgary’s precious water resources is a shared responsibility among The City of Calgary, businesses and Calgarians.
There are many actions you can take to ensure that your home is water efficient and prepared for winter. This simple checklist is a great place to start.
You can also discover a library of tips and tools for creating a water-efficient home. Visit our Homeowner Water Guide.
- Check the Watering 101 Guide to find out when to stop watering plants, shrubs and trees.
- Consult the YardSmart plant list to make any seasonal additions to your garden like bulbs.
- Leave debris in plant beds over winter to provide habitat for pollinators.
- Place mulch around perennial plants and trees to protect them from frost.
- Prune your trees and shrubs.
- Let your grass grow into dormancy – stop watering and stop cutting.
- Turn off the outdoor water supply to avoid winter leaks.
- Properly winterize and turn off your irrigation system to avoid leaks.
- Clean debris out of your gutters.
- Clean and repair downspouts, and direct stormwater away from your house, ideally towards your garden.
- Clean and properly winterize your rain barrel.
- Still have an old, high-flow toilet? Consider replacing it with a low-flow WaterSense approved model.
- Check your sump pump to make sure it's working properly.
- Clean out the backflow valve located in your basement.
- Use your water meter to check for leaks inside your home every six months as part of regular home maintenance.
- Check your toilets, taps, humidifier, hot water heater, water softener and other water using devices for leaks.
- Service your hot water heater, water softener and humidifier.