Calgary's Asia community consists of members with cultural roots from countries such as China, Vietnam, Japan, Korea, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Brunei, East Timor and the Philippines. Although these Asian countries are close geographically, each is unique and rich in history, religion and culture.
The Asia liaison officer provides a vital link between police and Asian communities by enhancing communication. The liaison officer acts as a resource to educate and create awareness between police and Calgary's diverse Asian communities. The liaison officer also meets with community members to learn more about their customs and culture, and actively participates in cultural events and celebrations.
The Asia liaison officer is also involved in community events, such as the Chinatown Street Festival and Chinatown Stampede Breakfast.
The Diversity Resources Team strives to improve awareness and understanding, both within the Calgary Police Service (CPS), and between the service and Calgary’s diverse communities. In doing so, they are dedicated operationally and philosophically to the concept of community based policing. The Team promotes a professional police image by demonstrating impartial service to the law, by offering service and friendship to all members of the public within the Asian community.
In achieving this goal of improve awareness and understanding and better service to the community, Calgary Police Service Asia Diversity Chief’s Advisory Board was formed in 2011, the advisory board provides advice to the Calgary Police Service. The purposes of the advisory board to the Chief are to:
- Promote effective two-way communication;
- Promote education awareness;
- Identify and resolve crime and safety concern; and
- Increase police awareness specific to the community based issues.
Resources for the Asian community
- Chinatown Calgary
- Calgary Chinese Community Service Association
- Calgary Chinese Elderly Citizens' Association
- Calgary Japanese Community Association
- Pangasinan Society of Calgary
- Sien Lok Society of Calgary
- Calgary Malaysian Singaporean and Bruneian Community Association
- Calgary Taiwanese Canadian Association
- Alberta Thai-Canadian Association
- Calgary Chinese Cultural Centre
Contact the Calgary Police Service Asian community liaison by phone at 403-428-8161, or via email.