Services, resources and grants available to non-market housing providers
One of the objectives in Foundations for Home - the Corporate Affordable Housing Strategy is to get the Calgary community building. We work closely across our organization to scale up the capacity of affordable housing providers and collectively improve the housing system in Calgary.
The following resources are available to Calgary’s community of non-market/affordable housing providers.
- The Housing Incentive Program (HIP) is available to non-profit organizations for affordable housing projects in Calgary. HIP includes both pre-development grant opportunities and a rebate on City permits and fees to encourage the building of affordable housing units and stimulate the economy.
- The Home Program is designed to support affordable housing residents by strategically improving the housing system in our city. This program enables non-profit organizations to focus on improving tenant self-sufficiency and participation in activities that encourage community well-being. Applications for 2020 are now closed and will open again in 2021.
- Planning & Development provides a Customer Coordinator, Affordable Housing as a single point of contact for all non-market housing applications and planning inquiries. The Customer Coordinator can help you determine the City resources that may be available to you, and arrange an expedited timeline to efficiently move your non-market housing application through the approvals process.
- Calgary City Council has adopted the Non-Profit Land Disposition Policy allowing for the sale of up to ten pieces of City land to non-profit affordable housing developers every two years beginning in 2019. The policy is designed to help develop capacity among non-profit housing providers to invest in building more non-market housing in Calgary.
- The City of Calgary - Real Estate & Development Services sells serviced land for a variety of uses (industrial, commercial and residential), including lands specifically for non-market housing providers.
- COVID-19 resources are available for housing providers, including information, links and resources that might be helpful to providers of affordable housing and low end of market housing.
- Non-profit tax mitigation program is available for non-profit organizations.
- The One Window initiative develops a coordinated intake solution across non-market housing providers in Calgary. This will help to improve the experience of Calgarians who need access to non-market housing, so that more people can be efficiently and successfully housed.