Services, resources and grants available to non-market housing providers
Rapid Housing Initiative
Calgary has been allocated $24.6 million of the $1 billion Rapid Housing Initiative (RHI) that was announced by the Government of Canada on Sept. 21, 2020. This immediate funding is available to non-profit housing providers who meet Canada Mortgage and Housing Company (CMHC) criteria.
One of the objectives in Foundations for Home - the Corporate Affordable Housing Strategy is to get the Calgary community building.
We work closely across our organization to support the delivery of new affordable housing units.
The following step-by-step outlines how to get started and the resources and services available to providers and developers.
- Calgary City Council has adopted the Non-Profit Land Disposition Policy allowing for the sale of up to 10 pieces of City land to non-profit affordable housing developers every two years beginning in 2019. The new policy is designed to help develop capacity among non-profit housing providers to invest in building more non-market housing in Calgary. Information on the next opportunities to partner with The City will be posted in late 2019.
- The City of Calgary - Real Estate & Development Services sells serviced land for a variety of uses (industrial, commercial and residential), including lands specifically for non-market housing providers. Please visit Calgary.ca/realestate to find out what listings are currently available.
Development Applications - Planning & Development (Affordable Housing Manager)
- The City offers a resource, active from the pre-development stage to assist non-market housing providers through the development approvals process.
- The Affordable Housing Manager is the single point of contact for non-market housing applications/development and planning inquiries and helps prioritize timelines to efficiently move non-market housing applications through the approvals process.
Grants & Funding
- The City’s Home Program provides grant funding to non-profit organizations and housing providers for projects that benefit residents of affordable housing and create lasting changes in and across the housing system.
- The City is currently accepting applications for the 2020 Home Program. Learn more
The City of Calgary is participating in a proposed initiative to create a new entity that will provide a coordinated application and intake service for Calgarians to access non-market housing. The initiative is currently in the process of seeking funding.
The Home Program is designed to support affordable housing residents by strategically improving the housing system in our city. This program enables non-profit organizations to focus on improving tenant self-sufficiency and participation in activities that encourage community well-being.