Volunteer for the PAWS Pal program
PAWS (Positive Animal Wellness Support) Pal program
We encourage qualified individuals to volunteer to help socialize our adoptable cats and adoptable dogs. In addition to being experienced and confident in working with animals, candidates must be mature, dependable and conscientious of safety procedures.
Volunteer for the PAWS Pal Program
Please note: Our volunteer program is currently at capacity. Once we believe that we can offer new volunteers an enriching experience, we will re-open the application process.
PAWS Pal volunteers have the opportunity for one-on-one interaction with the cats and dogs awaiting adoption at the Animal Services Centre. The benefit is mutual: the volunteer receives learning opportunities, contributes to the wellbeing of the cats and dogs, and has fun doing it. In turn, the cats and dogs will be less stressed, better socialized and more adoptable.
Purpose & duties:
- To provide positive interaction with cats and/or dogs awaiting adoption.
- To provide opportunities for play and exercise for cats and/or dogs.
- To facilitate basic obedience training for dogs.
- To promote physical and psychological well-being for cats and dogs awaiting adoption.
Volunteers are required to commit to a minimum of four hours per month for a minimum term of one year. Drop-ins are not permitted. Shifts must be scheduled for a minimum of one hour blocks. Available shifts fall between the hours of:
- Monday to Friday 10 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday & Sunday 10 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- At least 18 years;
- Significant experience in handling cats and/or dogs;
- Physically able to handle animals;
- Successfully completion of clear Police Information Check (PIC) & Reference Checks;
- Friendly and outgoing;
- Works well with minimal supervision and shows initiative;
- Good verbal and written communication skills;
- Uphold and implement our policies and procedures (including confidentiality);
- Promotion the positive public image of the City of Calgary.
- Four-hour orientation
- Training shifts prior to start of placement
- Ongoing training/special interest seminars, etc.