Try this activity in the house or outside. You can do it by yourself or with a partner.
Safety Tip: Make sure you find an open space so you can move freely without slipping or hitting anything.
- Agility ladder (if you don't have one, you can make one with tape, chalk, yarn or string)
- Comfortable clothes to run around in
Try three different ways of moving from one end of the ladder to the other:
In and out
- Start with your feet hip-width apart at the bottom of the agility ladder.
- Hop into the first box, landing with both feet in the center. Then, hop forward to the second box, spreading your legs and landing so both feet are outside of the agility ladder.
- Then jump to the third box, bringing your feet back to the middle position.
- Repeat until you reach the end of the ladder.
- Start at one end of the ladder and stepping into the first box with both feet.
- Run forward with high knees, lifting your knees to waist level, through the entire length of the ladder.
Two footed jumps and jump backs
- Stand facing the agility ladder.
- Jump into the SECOND box with both feet.
- Then jump backward to the FIRST box, then jump again forward to the THIRD box, then back again to the SECOND box.
- Keep jumping back and forth until you have gone the length of the entire ladder, then turn back and repeat.
- Time yourself. Try and get through the ladder with any of the activities as fast as you can.
- Can you do any of the activities standing on just one leg?
- What else can you think of doing along the ladder? Maybe it’s doing a handstand across the entire length. Be creative.