Community - day 5 - my contribution
These activities can be done alone, but work best with one or more friends on a video chat like Skype, Zoom, Facetime, etc.
Trivia Question: In which month do we celebrate Neighbour Day?
- Sit so you're comfortable.
- Close your eyes or keep them open.
- Notice how it feels when you say these sentences to in your head: I am safe. I have everything that I need. I am surrounded by people who love me.
Park Clean Up
- Garbage bags
- Sharps kit (if you have one)
A good leader cares about their environment and their community! Go to your child’s favourite outdoor spot and spend some time cleaning it up together. Challenge your friends to do the same and see who collects the most garbage!
Make sure to practice physical distancing and stay 2 metres (or 6 feet) away from other people. Also make sure you wear gloves and DO NOT touch any glass, needles or any sharp objects. If you find any concerning items, call 311 to make a report.
- Thick paper or thin cardboard
- Markers or crayons
- Clear packing tape (optional)
A good leader will know that kindness is contagious. Have your child create bookmarks and decorate them. Add an inspirational quote or a note of encouragement.
Use packing tape to cover the bookmark and protect it from water damage, or use mod podge to seal your work.
Add the bookmarks to any books you’re planning to swap or donate or put them inside books in a "little library" in your community. This is a great way to surprise someone who likes to read.
- Permanent markers
Have your child collect a few medium or large stones from your neighbourhood on your next walk. Help wash them when you get home.
Have your child paint the rocks with acrylic paint. Help them write an inspirational quote on the back of each stone. You could try something like "we're in this together," or "wishing you a happy day."
Place the stones in a park, along a pathway or sidewalk, or in the neighbourhood community garden. It will be a nice surprise for someone in the future.
Ask your child:
- How does it feel when you get a kind surprise? (Feel)
- Why do you think it is important to belong to a community? (Think)
- What other ways can you help your community? (Act)
Mindfulness Trivia Answer
Answer: June! This year Neighbour Day will be on June 20th.
Trivia Question: What word begins and ends with an E but only has one letter?
- Find some nature sounds on a phone.
- Sit down so you’re comfortable.
- Notice your body.
- (Have someone turn on the nature sounds.) Listen to the nature sounds for 30 seconds.
- Does your body feel better or worse?
My Contribution Collage
We all contribute to our family and communities in different ways. You are contributing when you help a friend or a family member, do chores, volunteer, take part in community events and donate your clothes.
Have your child write down 5-10 things they have contributed in the past. Using your own pictures, magazines and drawings create a collage of all your contributions. This is something you can look at and be proud of.
Contribution Fortune Jar
- Colouring items
What are some of the things you can contribute to your friends, family or community today, tomorrow or this week?
Have your child ask this question to themselves and all members of your household. Challenge everyone to come up with 5-10 individual contributions. Write them down with each person’s name.
Cut out each contribution like a fortune cookie paper and put them inside a jar.
Each morning, randomly select one piece of paper. Whoever’s name is on the paper has to act out the contribution. Do this until there are no contributions left.
- Pencil or pen
As we grow up, our interests and perspectives change. The way we can contribute also changes.
What would you like to do for your family in 1 year? 5 years? 10 years? What do you see yourself doing for the greater good?
Have your child write 3 letters for their future self. One letter will be for themselves in one year, the second in 5 years and the third in 10 years. Answer these questions while you are writing:
- How old will you be?
- What do you want to be doing?
- What is something amazing you want to do?
- How will you be contributing to your family?
- How will you be contributing to your community?
Put each letter in an envelope and write the year it is supposed to be opened. Keep them with your keepsakes, and open these letters in the future. This will show you how much we change, and remind you of your dreams and aspirations.
Ask your child:
- How do you feel when you contribute? (Feel)
- Why do you think it is important for everyone to contribute? (Think)
- What are some small and easy contributions you can make today to your family or community? (Act)
Mindfulness Trivia Answer
Trivia Question: How many months of the year have 28 days?
- Sit down so you're comfortable.
- Think about your favourite ice cream.
- Imagine how cold it is on your tongue.
- Imagine eating it as slowly as you want. Enjoy!
- Video camera (or cell phone camera)
Contribution is when a person gives back to help others. Create a newscast that shares good things happening in your community.
Role play as a news anchor. Collect stories from family and friends who have noticed people helping others in your community. Write down a list of good news stories.
Create a title for your newscast. Make a video of you sharing the stories of contributions. Share your video with family and friends to highlight contributions from community members.
Lead the "If" Game
Think about what your parents contribute to you and your siblings and play this game with your family at home.
Write down 20 "If" questions and cut them out separately. Try to come up with your own "If" questions that might relate more to your family or use the ones below.
Example "If" questions:
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
- If I had $10,000, what would you spend it on and why?
- If you could talk to anyone in the world, who would it be?
- If you could eat in at any restaurant, what would it be?
- If you could have any kind of pet, what would it be and why?
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?
- If you had to be allergic to something, what would it be?
- If you could learn any instrument, what would it be?
- If you could own and drive any car, what would it be?
- If you could make one wish, what would it be?
Place the questions (face down) in the middle of the table. Have one person take a question and read it out loud. They will give their answer to the question and provide comments or explanation. The card is returned to the centre of the table before the next person picks a question.
Contribution to Self
Taking the time to contribute to ourselves is an important part of our overall health and keeps us thinking positive.
Make a list of your top five things you love to do. It could be calling a friend, listening to music, playing video games or practicing yoga. Think about things that help you feel good about yourself.
Challenge yourself to do one thing on the list every day for 5 days.
- How do you feel when you take time to contribute to yourself? (Feel)
- What are some ways you contribute to your family? (Think)
- What are other ways we can contribute to your community? (Act)
Mindfulness Trivia Answer
All of the months have 28 days!