COVID-19 - Economic Resilience Task Force
In March 2020, Council approved the creation of an Economic Resilience Task Force (ERTF) to respond to Calgary’s economic challenges and mitigate unfavourable impacts of COVID-19.
The ERTF provided recommendations for four economic recovery programs targeted at attracting investment, capitalizing on opportunities to create jobs, and driving economic growth. These economic recovery programs complement support from other orders of government as well as existing City programs.
Together, they stand to benefit our local business community and the Calgary community-at-large.
These ERTF recommendations followed short term economic relief measures provided to support Calgarians and local businesses during the response phase to COVID-19.
Our focus areas
The four programs are intended to support post-pandemic medium-term economic recovery and long-term economic resilience building activities.
Innovation through procurement
Using municipal procurement as a tool to support economic resilience by leveraging different approaches to procurement to create local jobs, drive innovation, and protect supply chains.
Better value from city assets
Assessing the extent to which City owned capital infrastructure is underperforming and unlocking “idle” capital to deliver improved or additional benefits.
Youth & community spirit
Understanding the circumstances facing youth and exploring opportunities to facilitate collaboration with others in the community to improve youth engagement, youth employment, and drive innovation and long-term economic growth.
The programs will help deliver on Council priorities of a healthy and green city, a well-run city, and a prosperous city. They are also consistent with the 2020 June Alberta Recovery Plan and the 2020 September Federal Speech from the Throne.
Who we are
Task Force representatives
(including civic partners)
- Naheed Nenshi, Mayor (ex-officio)
- David Duckworth (City Manager)
- Carla Male (Chief Financial Officer and Task Force Chair)
- Stuart Dalgleish (GM Planning and Development)
- Mary Moran (CEO, Calgary Economic Development)
(selected using an expression of interest process and a skills matrix see Appendix B Terms of Reference)
- Jeremy Barretto (Cassels Brock and Blackwell LLP)
- Bev Dahlby (School of Public Policy, University of Calgary)
- Loren Falkenberg (Haskayne School of Business, University of Calgary)
- Linda Johnson (Former MLA, Calgary-Glenmore)
- Adam Legge (Business Council of Alberta)
- Michael Lickers (Suncor Energy)
- Greg Oberti (Partner at PwC)
- Alice Riemer (Creative Destruction Labs–Rockies, University of Calgary)
- Justin Riemer (Federal Ministry of Western Economic Diversification)
- Usman Tahir Jutt (Chirp Foods Inc.)
- Councillor Joe Magliocca (Ward 2)
- Councillor Sean Chu (Ward 4)
- Councillor George Chahal (Ward 5)
- Councillor Jeff Davison (Ward 6)
- Erin Chrusch (Senior Strategist, Office of the Mayor)
The ERTF is also receiving support from a project management team identified by the Chair.
Have an idea or comment for one of the COVID-19 Task Forces? Send us an email at City.Manager@calgary.ca.