COVID-19 - Prevent the spread of illness
Prevent the spread of COVID-19 with a few simple hygiene habits.
For the latest COVID-19 information, visit the Government of Alberta.
If you are unwell
- Isolate from your family and stay in a separate room even if you only have mild symptoms. Free hotel rooms are available for people who must isolate or quarantine but cannot do so safely in their own homes.
- Get tested for COVID-19. While you wait for your test, isolate yourself from your family and don’t leave your house.
- Eat in a separate location and do not share food or utensils with anyone in your household. If possible, have someone in your family leave meals outside your bedroom door.
- Use a separate bathroom if you can.
The Alberta Government has isolation support and requirement information.
Maintain physical distance from others
Limit your contact with others by staying home as much as possible. When you are outside of your home, maintain at least 2 metres (the length of a bicycle) from others. Learn more about physical distancing outside.
Wear a mask
You are required to wear face coverings or masks in indoor public areas, workplaces, and public vehicles, with few exceptions. Wear a face covering in any setting where physical distancing measures can’t be maintained.
Learn how to make or buy a mask.
Wash your hands frequently
Use hand sanitizer when you can’t wash your hands with soap and warm water. We provide hand sanitizing stations at all City facilities.
Catch your germs
Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze by using the inside of your elbow or your shoulder.
Avoid touching your face
Keep your hands away from your eyes, ears, nose and mouth.
- Facing the wall inside the elevator
- Limit the number of people to 3 in each elevator
- Avoid crowding by waiting for the next elevator
- Avoid touching your face after touching the buttons
- Wash or sanitize your hands after leaving the elevator
If you must carpool
- Wear a mask. Never give COVID a ride home
- Limit the number of people you are traveling with and ensure everyone is wearing a mask
- Wash your hands before you leave the house and work. If you can’t do that, use hand sanitizer before you enter and leave the vehicle
- Frequently sanitize commonly touched vehicle surfaces, like door handles, seat belt buckles, windows mechanisms, steering wheel, and dashboards
- Do not overcrowd the vehicle and open a window to allow for some extra ventilation. Good ventilation can help reduce the spread of COVID-19
- If you are feeling unwell, even with mild symptoms, stay home
Tips for employers
- Physical distancing among your staff and customers (2 metre minimum)
- Have staff work from home where possible
- Wear masks in all indoor workplaces and facilities, unless working alone or in a safely distanced cubicle
- Choose virtual meetings
- Limit public access to certain facilities/spaces
- Use ghost shifting – one shift of staff completely leaves the office space before the other shift arrives. Cleaning of common spaces occurs between the shift change.
Find out about supports and safety measures for businesses.
COVID-19 status in your community
Learn more about COVID-19 cases in your community.