COVID-19: Masks and face coverings in businesses
Calgary’s Temporary Face Coverings Bylaw, in effect August 1, 2020, requires people to wear face coverings in indoor public spaces. It also has new requirements for businesses. Below, you can find the information that you will need to prepare your business for these new mask requirements.
You can also view the Face Coverings Bylaw: Business and Operators Guide, for more information.
Signs are required in business entrances
Under the bylaw, business operators or owners are required to display messaging in public entryways of the business or vehicle.
Below, you can find downloadable signs/posters you can use.
The sign in the bylaw includes details such as the prohibition, bylaw number, exceptions, website information, and a picture of face coverings that businesses can download and use.
If your business already has signage in place with face covering requirement messaging, you are welcome to use that as an alternate to our signage.
Failing to display signage can result in a penalty of $200.
Download the sign
People who are exempt from wearing face coverings
- Children under two years old.
- People with underlying medical conditions or disabilities inhibiting their ability to wear a face covering.
- People who are unable to place, use or remove a face covering safely without assistance.
- People who are eating or drinking at a public premises that offers food or beverage services.
- People engaging in an athletic or fitness activity.
- People who are caregiving for or accompanying a person with a disability where wearing a face covering would hinder the accommodation of the person’s disability (for example, the ability to lip read).
- People who have temporarily removed their face covering where doing so is necessary to provide or receive a service (for example, a visit to the dentist).
Please note: Customers do not need proof that they are included in one of the exemptions listed above. Businesses are also not expected to deny services as not everyone is required to wear a face covering.
The City of Calgary’s main focus is on educating Calgarians about the importance of wearing face coverings in indoor public spaces and public vehicles, rather than enforcement.
Failure to wear a face covering where required or failure to display signage can result in a penalty of $50 to $200.
Frequently asked questions
Want to know if a face covering is required for your business? We have outlined rules and guidelines for some common scenarios.