YYC volunteer opportunities
As Calgary responds to the COVID-19 pandemic, organizations are relying heavily on volunteers to help address needs. Volunteering is a great way to support your community and the city, and there are many different ways you can volunteer without doing so in-person. It is crucial that citizens continue to practice physical distancing and heed public health warnings while volunteering. Explore the volunteer opportunities below and show support for your YYC.
Before committing to a volunteer opportunity
Do your due diligence to ensure the organization is reliable and that the opportunity is appropriate for you. Here are some questions you can ask yourself to help evaluate potential volunteer opportunities:
- Is this opportunity safe? Is this organization following the Alberta Government’s guidance for volunteers?
- Does this organization align with my beliefs and support a cause I believe in?
- Is information about this opportunity easily accessible and readily available? Is there a web presence and contact information listed? Can you find information about other volunteer opportunities from this organization?
Organizations matching volunteers with skills
- Calgary Alliance for the Common Good
- Calgary COVID-19 Support and Relief Facebook group
- Calgary Food Bank
- Calgary Seniors Resource Society
- Community Associations - find yours here
- Joy4All hotline
- Mustard Seed
- Next Door
- The Government of Canada – National COVID-19 Volunteer Recruitment Campaign
- United Way of Calgary and Area
- University of Calgary - COVID-19 Volunteer Support Program
- YYC COVID-19 Volunteers Facebook group
Opportunities requiring technical skills, education or certifications
Please note: Inclusion of organizations and opportunities at Calgary.ca/COVID-19 does not constitute or imply the endorsement or recommendation of The City of Calgary, nor is the exclusion of any opportunity intended to discredit a worthy organization or cause. It is up to each individual citizen to assess the volunteer organization and opportunity listed to determine fit.