Caution | State of local emergency renewed until May 24, 2021

Get Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates and information on closures, cancellations and service changes.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates View our closures and service changes

Kitchen and Cooking Fire Safety

Kitchen fires and cooking are the leading cause of injury in the home, making prevention of kitchen fires and cooking safety a priority for the Calgary Fire Department. Some important safety tips for preventing kitchen fires are cooking injuries are:

  • Never leave cooking unattended, stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, broiling or boiling food.
  • If you must leave the kitchen, turn off the stove and remove the pot from the burner.
  • Always keep an oven mitt and lid nearby when cooking. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan.
  • Never hold a child while you are cooking or carrying hot foods or liquids.
  • To prevent overheating and ignition of cooking oil, fry foods in a temperature controlled deep-fat fryer or skillet designed for a maximum temperature of 200 °C.
  • Make sure to use dry oven mitts and potholders to prevent scalding or burns.
  • Use the stove’s back burners whenever possible and turn pot handles inward to reduce the risk of pots being knocked over.
  • Place hot foods and liquids in the centre of the table or towards the back of a counter and out of the reach of young children.

Stovetop and Oven Safety Tips

  • Use the stove’s back burners whenever possible and turn pot handles inward to reduce the risk of pots being knocked over.
  • Keep children and pets at least one metre away from the stove.
  • Keep potholders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, and other items that can burn, away from your stovetop.
  • Remember not to store combustible or flammable items in the bottom drawer of the oven.
  • In case of an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
  • Clean food and grease from the oven and stovetop once it has cooled.

Microwave Oven Safety Tips

  • Plug the microwave oven directly into the wall outlet; do not use an extension cord.
  • Use only microwave oven-safe food containers or dishes.
  • Never use aluminum foil or metal in a microwave oven.
  • Food heats unevenly in a microwave oven and can be too hot to eat. Stir and test before eating or giving to children.
  • Slowly open food that has been heated up in a microwave oven-safe container away from the face. Hot steam can cause burns.
  • If a fire starts in the microwave oven, leave the door closed, turn it off and unplug it from the wall. Get out and call 9-1-1.
​​​