Electrical and gas appliances
Safe electrical appliance use
- Do not use any appliance while you are touching metal or anything wet. Never plug in or unplug an electric cord while your hands are wet
- Unplug appliances before cleaning them.
- Do not yank the cord when unplugging appliances.
- Train children not to put things into electrical outlets. Plastic outlet guards are a good idea, especially for homes with small children.
- Repair any appliance that sparks, smokes, or shocks you.
- Do not overload outlets and extension cords.
- Keep appliances like radios, televisions, and hair dryers away from sinks and bathtubs.
Safe gas appliance use
- Ensure the appliance is installed correctly with the correct clearances and soap test all connections before initial use.
- Keep the area around your furnace and water heater clear of clutter.
- Never store items near your heating appliances, especially combustible material.
- If your pilot or gas burners produce a yellow flame it may require an adjustment by a qualified heating contractor.
- Ensure your furnace and home gets sufficient air for proper operation.
- Never run the furnace with the fan compartment cover removed. This can severely upset air circulation, cause improper combustion and may produce carbon monoxide (CO).
- Know the danger signals of CO exposure: headachy feeling, tightness across the forehead and in the temples, watering and burning of the eyes, weariness, weakness, dizziness, vomiting and loss of muscular control.
- If you experience any of these symptoms, go outside into the fresh air. Call 9-1-1.