P.U.P.P.Y. (Pick Up Pooch's Poo Yourself) Program
With over 120,000 dogs in Calgary, the amount of pet waste in our city can quickly add up if owners aren’t picking up after their pets. The City’s P.U.P.P.Y. (Pick Up Pooch’s Poo Yourself) program focuses on keeping our city pet-waste free and promotes responsible dog ownership.
The scoop on dog poop
Dog waste can be harmful to people, pets and the environment, if not picked up and disposed of properly.
- It often contains E. coli and other harmful bacteria, such as salmonella, that can cause serious illness in humans.
- It can transmit parasites, including tapeworm and roundworm larvae, that can lead to brain, eye and other human organ damage.
- Its high-nutrient content creates “hot spots” causing nearby grass and plants to burn and discolour.
- It can contaminate lakes, rivers and other water sources when carried away by rain or melting snow.
- It attracts mice, coyotes and other wildlife to urban areas.
- It does not absorb into the soil, so the risk of spreading its harmful effects can linger for years.
Help make our city #1 by picking up #2
Here’s what you can do to help keep our parks and off-leash areas clean and safe:
- Always carry pet waste bags with you when you walk your dog.
- Pick up your pet’s waste by:
- Placing your hand in the bag.
- Grabbing the waste.
- Turning the bag inside out.
- Closing the bag.
- Properly dispose of your pet's waste as soon as possible in a nearby receptacle or your green cart*.
- Organize a cleanup of your local green space or off-leash area through your community association or local group/organization and have your event added to the PUPPY events listed above. Calgary Parks will bring The Litter Cleanup Kits (TLC Kits) and other equipment required to make your clean up a success.