Festival and Events Microgrant Program
Festivals and events enhance our communities, the lives of our citizens and play an important role in Calgary's growth as an active, vibrant and creative city.
As the COVID-19 pandemic begins to ease, we know Calgarians are looking for many ways to safety participate in arts, culture, sport and recreation events this summer. This Microgrant Program is intended to support arts, culture, sport and recreation experiences to improve the wellbeing of citizens, families and our communities as we deal with changing public health guidelines and regulations.
Calgary’s festival and event community has been hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic. We want to support our normally active and vibrant festival and event industry so that citizens and visitors can once again enjoy Calgary’s community spirit by safely experiencing arts, culture, sport and recreation events.
This microgrant program aims to support the costs of event delivery that meet all provincial and City guidelines and regulations and are planned for June 11 through September 30, 2021.
Eligible events could receive up to $4,500 to support event delivery. This program has up to $75,000 available.
Non-profit organizations, charitable organizations, Calgary Business Improvement Areas (BIA) and for-profit organizations are eligible.
Other qualifications include:
- Meets all provincial and City guidelines and restrictions
- Have all required permissions and permits
- Provide a budget with estimated revenues and expenses
- Spend Microgrant according to approved eligible costs
- Submit a post event report 45 days after the event concludes
- Use all funds in 2021
An Event Advisory Committee will meet every two weeks from June 24 to September 10, 2021 to evaluate and award funding. No applications will be accepted past September 10, 2021 at 4:30 p.m.
Event applications should show they can achieve one of these three themes found in the 2019-2022 Service Plans and Budgets:
- A Prosperous City: Calgary continues to grow as a magnet for talent, a place where there is opportunity for all, and strives to be the best place in Canada to start and grow a business.
- A City of Safe and Inspiring Neighbourhoods: Every Calgarian lives in a safe, mixed and inclusive neighbourhood, and has the right and opportunity to participate in civic life. All neighbourhoods are desirable and have equitable public investments.
- A Healthy and Green City: Calgary is a leader in caring about the health of the environment and promotes resilient neighbourhoods where residents connect with one another and can live active, healthy lifestyles.
Please review Directives of Council for more details.
Applications will be accepted until September 10, 2021 at 4:30 p.m. for events planned between June 11 and September 30, 2021. This program cannot fund projects retroactively.
How to apply:
- Complete the Festivals and Events Microgrant Application Form
- Email the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to apply early, as funding is limited.