What is public art
A reflection of our society
Art plays a crucial role in the development of modern, vibrant cities. Public art enhances our city's cultural capital and shapes our cultural identity.
Public art helps build community, and creates opportunities to engage with our public spaces.
Good for Calgary
Public art in Calgary returns on public investment in many ways:
- is a valuable part of our public history and evolving culture as Calgarians.
- it reflects and reveals who we are and what we want our communities to be.
- it makes our city a home and gives us style.
- gives everyone the ability to experience art in their daily life, outside of museums.
- encourages a sense of shared ownership and pride, since many public artworks are created with community collaboration.
- contributes to Calgary’s active and dynamic cultural scene.
- transforms our playgrounds, train stations, traffic circles, hospitals, water treatment facilities, airports and parks into more vibrant places.
- challenges, delights, educates and illuminates.
- creates spaces to meet, talk, and build community.
Public art enlivens a city for those who live here and those who visit. Independent citizen research 2015
Good for Calgarians
Public art brings awareness of the spaces we move through, it transforms landscapes and adds texture and interest, it can express community values and has the power to shape Calgary’s image.
Calgary’s public art is free to enjoy. There are no tickets, you don’t have to dress up– or even plan for it. You can view it by yourself or with others.
Calgary’s public art is for every Calgarian.