In Alberta, the Election Commissioner has the authority to investigate violations, or potential violations, of Part 5.1 Election Finances and Contributions Disclosure and Part 8 Third Party Advertising of the Local Authorities Election Act (LAEA) as well as potential breaches of the Alberta Senate Election Act (ASEA).
Complaints in relation to Parts 5.1 or Part 8 of the LAEA, or any complaint in relation to the ASEA, should be directed to their attention.
The LAEA requires a local jurisdiction, a returning officer or the Registrar to refer any complaint or allegation, or any act or omission that may constitute a violation of Part 5.1 or Part 8 of the LAEA, to the Election Commissioner within a reasonable time period.
Submit a complaint to the Election Commissioner
You will be asked to provide:
- Your name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
- A factual description of matters related to your complaint including events, dates, individual(s) involved, circumstances, and the action or inaction that you believe may be an offence.
- Copies of any documents that you believe are relevant.
How to submit a complaint:
- By using the Elections Alberta online complaint form (preferred)
- By mail
Compliance and Enforcement Unit
100, 11510 Kingsway NW
- By email - Send your complaint and all relevant documents and materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone - Call the Compliance and Enforcement Unit directly at 780-644.-250 or toll free 310-0000 then 780-644-1250
For more information about the Election Commissioner, complaints and investigations, visit the Elections Alberta website.