Know your election: municipal or federal election
There are two separate elections this fall. Know your election infographic
Canada federal election
The federal election is on September 20, 2021.
- Voters elect Members of Parliament (MPs) to the House of Commons in Ottawa.
- Results decide which political party forms the federal government
- Results decide who is the Prime Minister of Canada.
- Elections Canada provides voting station information.
- Anyone can request a mail-in ballot from Elections Canada.
- Candidates can place signs on public property from August 15, 2021, to 72 hours after the polls close on September 20, 2021. For more, see Bylaws related to election signs.
- For more on the federal election, see Elections Canada.
Calgary municipal election
The municipal election is on October 18, 2021.
- Voters elect the Mayor and Councillors to Calgary City Council.
- Voters elect public and separate school board trustees.
- Voters vote on adding fluoride to our water.
- Voters select nominees for the Senate of Canada.
- Voters vote on equalization payments and Daylight-Saving Time.
- Voting station information available in mid-September.
- Request a mail-in ballot, if you qualify.
- Elections Calgary is hiring election workers.
- For more on the municipal election, see Elections Calgary.