All candidates must be eligible to vote in the election. All candidates must be:
- at least 18 years old,
- a Canadian citizen,
- reside in Calgary on Election Day, and
- reside in Calgary for the 6 months before Nomination Day.
Councillors and trustees in Calgary do not have live in the ward they wish to represent.
Separate school board trustee candidates have additional requirements under the Education Act.
A person is not eligible to be nominated if on Nomination Day they are:
- City employee who has not taken a leave of absence.
- Employees of the school division, charter school or private school who has not taken a leave of absence (school board trustee candidates only).
- Indebted to The City in taxes exceeding $50.
- This does not include current taxes.
- This does not include indebtedness already in a consolidation agreement.
- Indebted to The City exceeding $500 and in default for more than 90 days.
- Convicted of an offence in the last 10 years under the LAEA, the Election Act, the Election Finances and Contributions Disclosure Act or the Canada Elections
Note: The information on this website is provided for the convenience of reference only. Candidates are subject to further requirements in the Local Authorities Election Act. Candidates are advised to refer to the LAEA and obtain legal advice regarding the full extent of their obligations.