Special ballot (mail-in) voting
If you are unable to vote on Election Day, you can request a special (mail-in) ballot. You may be unable to vote at your designated Advance Vote or Election Day voting station because:
- you have a disability or illness; or
- you are working, vacationing or studying away from your place of residence; or
- you are an election worker, a candidate, campaign worker or scrutineer.
Request a special (mail-in) ballot starting Aug. 3
Special (mail-in) ballots sent out after Sept. 21
Mail-in ballot packages will be sent to voters after September 21, 2021.
Fill out and return the ballot
When you receive a mail-in ballot, follow the instructions to fill out the ballots.
You will be required to provide a physical copy of your identification (i.e.: a printed photo of your ID, photocopy, other physical copy of your chosen identification as per the identification requirements). This will need to be included when you return your completed/marked mail-in ballot. Specific instructions on how to include the copy of identification is provided in the package with your mail-in ballot.
Return the package:
- by mail,
- in person at the Elections Office, or
- at one the secure drop boxes which will be located throughout the city.
Special ballots must be received by the Elections Calgary office by 4 p.m. Election Day (Oct. 18).