Wildflower seed giveaway
Consider planting some wildflowers in your garden this year - not only will you enjoy the flowers, so will our local pollinators!
Native Wildflower Seed Giveaway
The wildflower seed giveaway was open to residents from Calgary on April 11-18th, 2022 and is now closed.
Why choose wildflowers?
- Many are local — familiar to our native pollinators and able to withstand the climate of Calgary.
- They bloom for long periods at varying times — this ensures pollinators have sources of nectar and pollen available from early spring through to the end of fall.
- They provide shelter — many native bees like to use flower stems for nesting.
How to plant wildflowers
- Place seeds into flower pot or bed with firmly packed soil. Ensure the area will not have competition from other plants.
- Cover seeds with 0.3 cm (1/8’’) of soil and press down firmly.
- Water on a regular basis to keep surface moist.
- After germination, thin out or transplant flowers so they are 25 - 30cm (10 - 12’’) apart.
These species will grow best in a dry to moist, sunny area. Flowers may not bloom until the second season.