New Home Warranty program
Homeowners who purchase new homes or undertake some renovation work have warranty coverage under Alberta’s New Home Buyer Protection Act. This is a legal requirement by the Government of Alberta. The home builder selects the warranty provider and the homeowner is responsible for reading and understanding its terms and conditions. We recommend reviewing both the Alberta New Home Buyer Protection Act and your home warranty insurance contract.
Knowing your rights and obligations under the Alberta New Home Buyer Protection Act and Regulations will help you take appropriate steps if you believe there is a defect that may require a claim. Homeowners who undertake any work prior to contacting their warranty provider may void their warranty. It is best to contact your provider as soon as problems arise. The only steps you should take on your own would be to address an urgent situation, such as shutting off the water if you have a water leak. Then call your warranty provider immediately.
The Act also applies to homeowners who are building their own home (also called owner-builders). There are additional requirements if you are building your own home. See the Act and Regulations for details.
Questions about the Act or the Regulations can be directed to the Government of Alberta.
Minimum coverage provided under the Government of Alberta New Home Warranty program:
- One year - labour and materials
- Two years - defects in labour and materials related to delivery and distribution systems
- Five years – exterior building envelope
- Ten years - major structural components
Understanding your coverage
- What is considered a new home? Refer to the Alberta New Home Buyer Protection Act – Interpretation, Article 1(1)(s).
- What is considered a reconstruction? Refer to the Alberta New Home Buyer Protection Act – Interpretation, Article 1(1)(z).
- Who is considered an owner? Refer to the Alberta New Home Buyer Protection Act – Interpretation, Article 1(1)(t).
- Which homes are covered under the Act? Refer to the Alberta New Home Buyer Protection Act – Application, Article 2.
- How would an owner know the details of their coverage? Refer to the Home Warranty Insurance Regulation – Notice of Coverage, Article 3(1).
- Are there any standard policy conditions? Refer to the Home Warranty Insurance Regulation – Policy Conditions
To learn more, visit:
- Better Warranty Standards. Built for Your New Home
- New Home Buyer Protection Act – Warranty Requirements.