Operational and safety improvements project
Project update - September 13, 2022
16 Avenue N.W. area - Safety improvements
New traffic signals: Northbound Bowness Road to westbound 16 Avenue loop ramp
Traffic signals have now been installed at the intersection of westbound 16 Avenue N.W. and the northbound Bowness Road loop ramp. The signals will begin a pre-operational flash on Monday, September 26 and will be fully operational starting on Wednesday, September 28, 2022.
Vehicles travelling on the loop ramp will receive a red light to stop at the intersection of 16 Avenue N.W. while vehicles travelling westbound on 16 Avenue have a green light.
When westbound through traffic on 16 Avenue receives a red light to stop, vehicles on the loop ramp will receive a green light to exit onto westbound 16 Avenue.
No new signals will be installed for eastbound traffic on 16 Avenue N.W.
Paving work on the loop ramp is also now complete, with road marking scheduled over the coming weeks. The loop ramp will be fully re-opened to traffic by Friday, September 28, to coincide with traffic signal activation.
Upcoming closure: Bowness Road (between Shaganappi Trail and 43 Street N.W.) and the Bowness Road to eastbound 16 Avenue loop ramp
Closures will be in place to complete roadway milling and paving of Bowness Road (between Shaganappi Trail and 41 Street N.W.) and the Bowness Road to eastbound 16 Avenue loop ramp.
Closures will be in place during the following times:
- Milling: Thursday, September 15 – Saturday, September 17 from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. daily
- Paving: Monday, September 19 and Tuesday September 20 from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. daily
Detours are as follows:
- Eastbound traffic on Bowness Road: All eastbound traffic along Bowness Road will be detoured to 16 Avenue N.W. at 43 Street N.W. Detoured traffic can connect to eastbound Bowness Road via the Bowness Road off-ramp on 16 Avenue N.W.
- Westbound traffic on Bowness Road: One lane will remain open for westbound traffic on Bowness Road N.W. from Shaganappi Trail to 43 Street N.W.
- Lanes will be fully re-opened to traffic outside of the closure hours listed above.
- See the detour map for more information
Every effort will be made to minimize impacts to the travelling public, though some delays are expected.
Top-lift paving: Southbound Shaganappi Trail to eastbound 16 Avenue loop ramp:
Top-lift paving will be taking place overnight on Wednesday, September 21 from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. and the loop ramp will be fully closed during this time.
The new merge lane from the ramp onto eastbound 16 Avenue is expected to be complete by Thursday, September 22. A “yield” condition will temporarily remain in place until the merge lane is complete. Traffic will be maintained during this time.
North and south pathways along Bowness Road
- North pathway: Topsoil stripping and paving complete between 16 Avenue and Shaganappi Trail
- South pathway: Topsoil stripping is complete
- Upcoming: Remaining areas of paving
Various temporary lane closures will be required throughout construction in all project areas, especially along Bowness Rd between 37 St and 41 St. Please follow all detour and construction signage posted in work zones, including speed reductions.
Access to area businesses will remain open throughout construction.
Regular updates will be shared on this page and via the project’s email newsletter.
Bow Trail U-Turn
Bow Trail U-Turn - Operational improvements
Construction of the Bow Trail U-Turn is now complete.
The U-Turn lane and new traffic signals are fully operational and open to vehicles. New pedestrian signals have also been installed at the intersection.
View the infographics below for information on how to travel safely together in the area.
As Calgary grows, The City continuously evaluates various roads and intersections that require operational improvements for a variety of reasons like traffic congestion, safety issues, or infrastructure maintenance.
This year, the following locations were chosen for improvements this summer:
Bow Trail/Sarcee Trail S.W. area - Operational improvements
- Construction of a U-Turn lane at the east leg of the Bow Trail and Sarcee Trail S.W. intersection
- A new U-Turn lane will be built on eastbound Bow Trail, at the existing pedestrian traffic lights east of the Sarcee Trail S.W. intersection
16 Avenue N.W. area - Safety improvements
- Northbound Bowness Road to westbound 16 Avenue N.W loop ramp
- The traffic loop will be increased to two lanes rather than one
- Traffic signals will be installed at the intersection of 16 Avenue N.W.
- Southbound Shaganappi Trail to eastbound 16 Avenue N.W. loop ramp
- A larger traffic loop will be built around the existing loop
- Intersection with 16 Avenue N.W. will be converted from a yield to a merge condition
- The existing loop will be converted for exclusive use by Roads and a “Broombox” will be added for storage of materials
- Pavement rehabilitation on Bowness Road N.W.
- Mill and inlay the road surface curb to curb from 37 Street to 41 Street N.W.
- Installation of four bus pads
- Improve comfort for riders at existing Transit stops on Bowness Road N.W. between 37 Street and Shaganappi Trail N.W.
- Construction of pathway connection
- Completion of a missing multi-use pathway link on the east side of Bowness Road N.W. between Shaganappi Trail and 41 Street N.W., to provide better connections and improve safety and accessibility for those walking and wheeling
This work was identified as part of the short-term improvements for the Future of 16 Avenue N.W., as well as part of The City’s annual Pavement Rehabilitation Program and Operational & Safety Improvements Program.
Frequently Asked Questions
Drivers are reminded to watch for detour signs, and reduced speed limits in the area while this work is underway.
We will maintain business and resident access whenever possible, however detour routes may be in place.
Work will be done in a staged manner and will adhere to City of Calgary Noise Bylaw restrictions. In the event of overnight construction, all efforts will be made to reduce noise impacts to the best of our ability. Not all noise will be able to be mitigated and we apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.
Crews will be working to keep dust and vibration to a minimum during construction with things like street sweeping, water, etc. Not all dust or vibration will be able to be mitigated and we apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.
Several trees will need to be removed within the project area by 16 Avenue N.W. to accommodate construction and the future loop ramp configuration.
These trees have been assessed by The City. This ensures that replacement trees can be planted in a new location.
Trees will be removed weeks before main construction. This ensures there is no overlap with bird nesting season.
The intersection of Bow Trail and Sarcee Trail is one of the most congested signal-controlled intersections in Calgary. Bow Trail is an important connection to the downtown core. Once the West Calgary Ring Road (WCRR) is completed, Bow Trail may see an increase in traffic.
The Bow Trail interchange at WCRR will be the only interchange that facilitates all turning movements.
The U-Turn lane will help to reduce some of the congestion at the Bow Trail/Sarcee Trail S.W. intersection. It will provide residents from Strathcona Hill a more direct connection to northbound Sarcee Trail. It will reduce trip time by 2-5 minutes.
- McKnight Boulevard and 68 Avenue N.E. - Improvements to the ramp from westbound McKnight Boulevard to northbound 68 Avenue N.E.
- Home Road and 16 Avenue N.W. - Intersection pavement removal and replacement
- 16 Avenue N.W. (between Home Road and the CPR bridge) - Median extension
- 16 Avenue N.W. (between 43 Street and Monseratt Drive N.W.) - Pavement rehabilitation
- Spring 2022: Construction Start
- Fall 2022: Construction Completion
Construction activities are dependent on several factors. Timelines could change due to inclement weather, underground conditions and/or other unexpected circumstances.
Sign-up to get the most up-to-date project information and notices related to construction.
For more information, please contact the project team at firstname.lastname@example.org.