16 Avenue over Barlow Trail N.E. Bridge Rehabilitation Project
Built in 1978, the 16 Avenue N.E. bridge is a two span box girder bridge that carries three eastbound and three westbound traffic lanes across Barlow Trail N.E. Various parts of the bridge are deteriorating due to age and are in need of immediate rehabilitation. This project will be tendered in the fall of 2020 and construction is planned for Spring/Summer of 2021.
Project update - July 27, 2020
This project will be tendered in November 2020.
May 1 – Oct 30, 2021
Scope of Work
The rehabilitation work on the bridge structure will include:
- Construction of new 3.5m wide sidewalk on the eastbound carriageway. New Cyclist railing on the sidewalk.
- New concrete barrier separating vehicular and pedestrian traffic on the eastbound carriageway.
- New concrete median barrier and westbound side barrier.
- Replacement of expansion joints and bearings.
- Girders, deck, abutment and wing wall repairs.
- New concrete overlay.
Expected Traffic Impact
Construction will be done in stages.
- Two lanes eastbound and westbound on 16 Ave will remain open for traffic with one lane in each direction closed.
- Two lanes northbound and southbound on Barlow Tr will remain open for traffic with one lane in each direction closed.