42 Avenue S.E. Complete Streets project
Project update - Feb. 17, 2021
The remaining work for this project, including completion of missing sidewalk links on the north side of 42 Avenue S.E., completion of the multi-use pathway along 12 Street S.E., from 42 Avenue to 46 Avenue/Highfield Crescent S.E. and final landscaping, will be completed this year. Construction will resume in Spring 2021 and continue through Summer 2021 with scheduled completion in Fall 2021.
We thank you for your patience throughout construction.
See the postcard below for information on safe pathway practices for people walking, wheeling and driving:
About the project
The City is improving accessibility and connections to key destinations for people who walk, bike and take transit along 42 Ave. S.E.
The new facilities will:
- Provide improved access to the 39 Avenue LRT station, the future Green Line Highfield Station and other public transit locations along the corridor.
- Improve safety and comfort along the avenue
- Create travel connections between the Elbow River and the Bow River.
- Link to destinations such as the Calgary Food Bank and local businesses including 10 craft breweries within a 7 km stretch.
- Eliminate sidewalk gaps and missing links that currently exist in the sidewalk network.
- Improve accessibility along the corridor for all users.
- Not impact the number of vehicular lanes or access to businesses.
- Connect to a new multi-use pathway on the north side of 42 Avenue west of Macleod Trail, with connections to Stanley Park, and to a new multi-use pathway on the north side of Highfield Blvd S.E.
Why are we doing this project?
42 Ave. S.E. connects to important destinations including Stanley Park, the food bank, industrial parks, LRT stations, and local businesses. It is important that The City provides transportation options that allow people to walk, bike and take transit as efficient ways of travel.
This 2.25 km section of roadway currently lacks continuous and comfortable facilities to walk or bike on. With businesses popping up in this traditionally industrial area and the construction of the Green Line on the horizon, there is a new demand to improve accessibility and connectivity for people who walk, bike and/or take transit.
The complete streets project will provide a key east to west link as well as convenient access to transit stops, the Calgary Food Bank and the many local businesses along 42 Ave.
Funding for this project comes from one-time capital funding to invest in growth areas within developed communities, approved as part of the 2019-2022 Service Plans and Budgets. $5.5 million was directly allocated to improve mobility along 42 Avenue's streets and pathways, and other priority pathway connections as a result of the numerous letters and a collection of over 400 signatures in community support presented to Council.
- Finalize design elements: Winter 2019 - COMPLETE
- Hire contractor: Summer 2020 - COMPLETE
- Construction of multi-use pathway along 42 Avenue S.E.: Summer – Fall 2020 - COMPLETE
- Completion of multi-use pathway along 12 Street S.E., missing sidewalk links on north side of 42 Avenue S.E. and final landscaping: Spring and Summer 2021
- Spring – Winter 2019: COMPLETE
* Construction is dependent on weather, site conditions and timing of other projects in the neighbourhood. Updates will be provided regularly, but dates may change
Sign up for email updates to receive news and notices related to the project.
Plans and strategies
We are committed to providing a safe, reliable and efficient transportation system that supports all modes of travel.
Learn more about our plans and strategies: