42 Avenue S.E. Complete Streets project
Construction update - October 21, 2021
Work on the 42 Avenue S.E. Complete Streets project is nearing completion.
Over the coming weeks, crews will be focused on completing remaining pathway connections.
Minor, temporary lane closures may occur to accommodate remaining construction. Please follow all signage posted in construction zones.
We thank you for your patience throughout this project.
New driveway and multi-use pathway section on 42 Avenue S.E. near 9 Street S.E.
New multi-use pathway section along 42 Avenue S.E. near 12 Street S.E.
About the project
The City is improving accessibility and connections to key destinations for people who walk, bike and take transit along 42 Ave. S.E.
The new facilities will:
- Provide improved access to the 39 Avenue LRT station, the future Green Line Highfield Station and other public transit locations along the corridor.
- Improve safety and comfort along the avenue
- Create travel connections between the Elbow River and the Bow River.
- Link to destinations such as the Calgary Food Bank and local businesses including 10 craft breweries within a 7 km stretch.
- Eliminate sidewalk gaps and missing links that currently exist in the sidewalk network.
- Improve accessibility along the corridor for all users.
- Not impact the number of vehicular lanes or access to businesses.
- Connect to a new multi-use pathway on the north side of 42 Avenue west of Macleod Trail, with connections to Stanley Park, and to a new multi-use pathway on the north side of Highfield Blvd S.E.
Why are we doing this project?
42 Ave. S.E. connects to important destinations including Stanley Park, the food bank, industrial parks, LRT stations, and local businesses. It is important that The City provides transportation options that allow people to walk, bike and take transit as efficient ways of travel.
This 2.25 km section of roadway currently lacks continuous and comfortable facilities to walk or bike on. With businesses popping up in this traditionally industrial area and the construction of the Green Line on the horizon, there is a new demand to improve accessibility and connectivity for people who walk, bike and/or take transit.
The complete streets project will provide a key east to west link as well as convenient access to transit stops, the Calgary Food Bank and the many local businesses along 42 Ave.
Funding for this project comes from one-time capital funding to invest in growth areas within developed communities, approved as part of the 2019-2022 Service Plans and Budgets. $5.5 million was directly allocated to improve mobility along 42 Avenue's streets and pathways, and other priority pathway connections as a result of the numerous letters and a collection of over 400 signatures in community support presented to Council.
- Spring – Winter 2019: COMPLETE
- Construction tender;
- hire contractor;
- plan/schedule construction
Summer – Fall 2020:
- First phase of construction of multi-use pathway along 42 Avenue S.E - COMPLETE
Spring and Summer 2021:
- Final phase of construction of multi-use pathway along 12 Street S.E.,
- Missing sidewalk links on north side of 42 Avenue S.E. and final landscaping.
- Reconstruction and upgrades of concrete pedestrian islands, ramps and sidewalk at intersections at 42 Avenue and Blackfoot Trail S.E., Macleod Trail S.E., as well as at 12 Street and 46 Avenue S.E.
- Project substantial completion
* Construction is dependent on weather, site conditions and timing of other projects in the neighbourhood. Updates will be provided regularly, but dates may change.
Sign up for email updates to receive news and notices related to the project.
Plans and strategies
We are committed to providing a safe, reliable and efficient transportation system that supports all modes of travel.
Learn more about our plans and strategies: