88 Street S.E. extension - between Stoney Trail and 196 Avenue
Project update - July 7, 2020
Construction has now begun on this project. It’s anticipated that the roadway will be completed by the end of 2020 with final completion in the summer of 2021.
About the project
By extending 88 Street S.E., we're building new connections and supporting future communities and development. Here's what the extension will do for Calgary's southeast:
- Extends 88 Street S.E. from Stoney Trail to 196 Avenue S.E.
- Doubles the capacity of the road with two northbound and two southbound lanes
- Accommodates future development
- Reduces congestion on 52 Street S.E., once 196 Avenue is connected
- Adds a second access to the Mahogany community and access to the new Rangeview communities, east of 88 Street S.E.
Click to enlarge image
This improvement to Calgary's southeast allows new community development, east of the new Seton Town Centre. The four-lane 88 Street S.E. road is the first phase of a future six-lane road. It extends south 2.6 kilometers, from the interchange at Stoney Trail and Highway 22X, connecting to 196 Avenue S.E.
- 2019: Complete design and tender contract
- Early 2020: Award contract
- July 2020: Begin construction
- End of 2020: Complete construction of roadway
- Summer 2021: Complete remaining construction, including landscaping
Budget approved: $23.5 million.
- Budget was approved by Council, as part of One Calgary's Service Line "Streets".