Banff Trail Area Improvements
Project update - March 2021
With the amazing weather we had last fall, we were able to work well into November to wrap up the 2020 roadwork construction. Crews will be back again in late March to finish the remaining work on the project.
On 24 Avenue N.W. the new sidewalk and pathway work on the north side between 15 and 19 Street N.W., and the south side between 16 and 19 Street N.W. is complete. The new multiuse pathway into Confederation Park is also complete and open for use.
The completed intersection improvements at 24 Avenue and Crowchild Trail N.W. include:
- Widening Crowchild Trail (adding a northbound lane along Crowchild Trail between 23 Avenue and 25 Avenue N.W.)
- Dual signalized right turn from westbound 24 Avenue to northbound Crowchild Trail.
- Improvements for active modes at the Crowchild Trail and 24 Avenue intersection.
- Upgrading the pathway on the east side of Crowchild Trail from 24 Avenue going south to Banff Trail N.W., with an additional connection added to 24 Street N.W.
On 16 Avenue N.W. the removal of the service road, and widening of westbound 16 Avenue between Banff Trail and Crowchild Trail is complete. Other work last season included:
- New multiuse pathway improvements on the north side between 19 Street and Crowchild Trail N.W.
- Re-aligning the Banff Trail and 16 Avenue N.W. intersection to the west, including eastbound and westbound U-turns.
- Building a new east/west internal access road to facilitate a new road network.
Work to be finished in 2021
16 Avenue N.W.
- Complete construction of the westbound off-ramp onto northbound Crowchild Trail.
- Complete construction of the new pedestrian bridge ramp at the northeast corner of Banff Trail.
- Remove and relocate the median from Crowchild Trail to 20A Street to add a new third eastbound lane.
- Remove and rebuild a new noisewall along south edge of 16 Avenue between Crowchild Trail and 20 A Street.
- Build new westbound and eastbound bus stops on the east side of Crowchild Trail.
- Complete eastbound lane widening on the bridge over Crowchild Trail, as well as work on the bridge deck.
24 Street N.W.
Complete new multi-use pathway from Banff Trail and Crowchild Trail to 23 Avenue, and on 23 Avenue from 24 Street to Banff Trail.
Crowchild Trail N.W.
- Complete minor intersection upgrades at the N.W. corner of 24 Avenue.
- Complete northbound road widening in the median from 24 Avenue to 30 Avenue.
- Complete construction of the 16 Avenue westbound off-ramp onto northbound Crowchild Trail, including road widening.
- Remove the northbound detour at 16 Avenue and complete work in the median from 16 Avenue to 24 Avenue N.W.
- Complete the northbound noisewall replacement between 24 Avenue and 32 Avenue N.W.
- Complete northbound asphalt work from 5 Avenue to 32 Avenue N.W.
- Complete southbound asphalt work from 5 Avenue to 32 Avenue N.W..
24 Avenue N.W.
- Construct new streetscape with new sidewalks and pathways from:
- 16 Street to 23 Street N.W. (south side)
- 19 Street to 23 Street N.W. (north side)
- Construct new Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacon (RRFB) at 20 and 22 Street N.W.
The Foothills Hospital/Stadium/Banff Trail Transit-Oriented Development (TOD) area forms part of the University Major Activity Centre in the Municipal Development Plan (MDP). It also covers low and medium priority redevelopment locations in the City's Growth Management Framework.
Growth projections indicate that the Foothills Hospital/Stadium/Banff Trail TOD area is anticipated to see an increase in population density over the next 10 to 20 years; To accommodate this, a number of improvements are required to local infrastructure.
We are coordinating and consolidating multiple needs in the area and taking a holistic approach to all the work that needs to get done; this will help reduce multiple and consecutive disruptions to the same area. The combined work is now called: The Banff Trail Area Improvements Project.
The Banff Trail Area Improvements project combines what would have otherwise been the following four individual projects:
1. 16 Avenue N: Lane widening from Crowchild Trail N.W. to 20A Street N.W.
- Adding one eastbound lane along 16 Avenue N.W. (from Crowchild Trail N.W. to 20A Street N.W.)
- Adding a pedestrian ramp to the pedestrian bridge east of Banff Trail N.W. on the north side of 16 Avenue N.W., painting the handrails, and replacing / relocating the existing staircase.
- Relocating a westbound Calgary Transit bus stop on 16 Avenue N.W. from east of the Banff Trail pedestrian bridge to west of Banff Trail N.W.
- Re-aligning the Banff Trail & 16 Avenue N.W. intersection to the west
- Improvements to accommodate a continuous multi-use pathway from 19th Street N.W. to Banff Trail N.W. (on the north side of 16 Avenue N.W.) to link to the new pathway from Banff Trail to Crowchild Trail
- Replacement of the noise wall adjacent to the Briar Hill Community (south side of 16 Avenue N.W., Crowchild Trail to 20A Street N.W.)
- Inclusion of a contra-flow bike lane on 16 Avenue Residential Road (south of the noise wall)
- Adding new Calgary Transit bus stops (in both directions) on the east side of Crowchild Trail on 16 Avenue N.W.
- Building a 'Complete Street' along Banff Trail N.W. (from 16 Avenue N.W. to 23 Avenue N.W.)
- Building a new east/west internal access road (Banff Trail to lane) to facilitate a new road network
- View a high resolution map here.
2. Constructing a westbound (WB) 16 Avenue N.W. off-ramp to northbound (NB) Crowchild Trail N.W.
- The construction of a new ramp from WB 16 Avenue N.W. to NB Crowchild Trail with a second one-way NB access ramp onto 24 Street N.W.
- Removal of the Service Road, addition of a multi-use pathway and boulevard space (between Banff Trail N.W. and 24 Street N.W.)
- Enhancing the pedestrian underpass at Crowchild Trail and 16 Avenue N.W., including the addition of a new switchback pathway from the north side of 16 Avenue N.W.
- Adding sidewalk connections along 24 Street N.W. (east side) from 23 Avenue N.W. to 16 Avenue N.W.
- View a high resolution map here.
3. Intersection improvements at Crowchild Trail N.W. and 24 Avenue N.W.
- Widening Crowchild Trail (adding a NB lane along Crowchild Trail between 23 Avenue N.W. and the 32 Avenue N.W. off-ramp)
- Improvements to the Crowchild Trail/24 Avenue intersection to accommodate active modes passing through this intersection
- Changes to the 24 Avenue/24 Street intersection
- Upgrading the pathway on the east side of Crowchild Trail (from Crowchild Trail & 24 Avenue going south to Banff Trail N.W.)
- Adding a new multi-use pathway from Crowchild Trail & Banff Trail N.W. to Crowchild Trail & 23 Avenue N.W.
- View a high resolution map here.
4. 24 Avenue N.W. Corridor (Crowchild Tr. N.W. to 14 Street N.W.) Improvements
- Making improvements for people who walk, cycle, along 24 Avenue N.W. (from Crowchild Trail N.W. to 14 Street N.W.)
- Resurfacing the road along 24 Avenue N.W. (from Crowchild Trail N.W. to 14 Street N.W.)
- 24 Avenue & 14 Street N.W. - building a new Confederation Park pathway connection that includes an at-grade crossing across 14 Street N.W. while keeping the existing underpass.
This work will improve connections while making it easier and safer for Calgarians to get around. We will be working closely with the communities and businesses in the area to ensure they are kept up-to-date during the course of this project.
Click to enlarge
We are committed to keeping business accesses open throughout construction.
- View the March 2021 update
- View the September 24, 2020 update
- View the December 20, 2019 update
- View the presented boards
- View the 24 Avenue N.W. Sidewalks and Bike Paths design option #1
- View the 24 Avenue N.W. Multi-use Pathways design option #2
- View the What We Heard Report
Sign up for our e-newsletter to receive the most up-to-date information.
- October 2018: Public Engagement Session
- Spring 2019: Project re-introduction
- June 11, 2019: Public Engagement Session
- October 24, 2019: Public Engagement Session
- January – March 2020: Utility relocations (water, gas, electrical)
- Spring 2020: Start of construction
- March – October 2020 Construction Areas:
- 24 Street N.W. (16 Avenue N.W. to approximately 19 Avenue N.W.)
- Northbound Crowchild Trail (16 Avenue N.W. to 32 Avenue N.W.)
- Crowchild Trail & 24 Avenue N.W. (Intersection Improvements)
- 24 Avenue N.W. (19th Street N.W. to 14 Street N.W. and pedestrian crossing improvements)
- 16 Avenue N.W. (North side from Crowchild Trail to Banff Trail)
- Utility relocations on eastbound 16 Avenue N.W. Residential Road (Southside of noise wall)
- New Connector Road from Laneway to Banff Trail N.W.
- April – October 2021 Construction Areas:
- Banff Trail (16 Avenue N.W. to 23 Avenue N.W.)
- 16 Avenue N.W. (South side and median from University Drive to 20 A Street N.W.)
- 24 Street N.W. (23 Avenue up to Banff Trail N.W.)
- 24 Avenue N.W. (23 Street N.W. to 19 Street N.W.)
- 2021: Construction completion