Bow Trail widening and intersection improvements
Project update: September 11, 2020
Crews have completed all final landscaping along 85 St. and Bow Tr. S.W., including west of 85 St. S.W., and the project is now complete.
Bow Trail & all adjoining sidewalks and pathways are fully open to the public.
We thank you for your patience throughout construction.
Construction highlights - 2019
- Curb and paving on both westbound and eastbound lanes of Bow Tr. – COMPLETE
- Intersection improvements on Bow Tr. and Old Banff Coach Rd. - COMPLETE
- Installation of street lighting, traffic signals, safety cable barrier and storm water system - COMPLETE
- Open pedestrian crossing near 77 St. S.W. - COMPLETE
- Pave pathway on north and south sides of Bow Tr. – COMPLETE
- Installation of noise wall – COMPLETE
- Landscaping, including planting over 700 trees – Phase 1 COMPLETE
Remaining work for 2020
- Intersection work (pavement reconstruction and final top lift) at Bow Tr./85 St. S.W. - COMPLETE
- Finish landscaping for Phase Two of the project, including west of 85 St. S.W. - COMPLETE
About the project
The City is widening Bow Trail to two lanes in each direction, between 85 Street S.W. and Old Banff Coach Road (OBCR), with additional improvements at intersections and pathways. These upgrades improve how people travel in the area and between communities now and into the future; whether you drive, take transit, cycle or walk.
A better Bow Trail:
- Add eastbound lane and westbound lane, between OBCR and 85th Street S.W., for now and future vehicle volumes
- Extend pathways on north and south side of Bow Trail to OBCR and Strathcona Blvd. for better walking and cycling connections between communities and existing pathways.
- Reduce speed limit to 60km/hr on Bow Trail, providing a safer space to travel in the area.
- Install pedestrian signal crossing at 77 Street S.W. (approx. 800m, east of 85th Street S.W.), to improve community connections.
- At Bow Trail/85th Street S.W. intersection:
- Add dual left-turn lanes all 4 directions
- Add two through lanes in all directions
- At Bow Trail/OBCR/Strathcona Blvd. intersection:
- Add a third left-turn lane, from southbound OBCR to eastbound Bow Trail
- Lengthen the two left turn lanes from westbound Bow Trail to southbound Strathcona Blvd.
Information session roll plans
On March 22, we hosted an information session, where we showcased the following designs. Based on the comments we heard, we've revisited the landscaping plans to see where we can further improve the various trees and other plantings.
- Project completion: Summer 2020
- Spring - Summer 2019: pathways, landscaping road and intersection work
- Winter 2019 (Jan. - Mar.): noise barrier, west of 85 Street
- Spring - Fall 2018: road work, which includes construction of additional traffic lanes, pedestrian signal crossing and intersection improvements, if weather and time permits
- Spring 2017 - Spring 2018
Information session display boards
If you weren't able to attend the Information Session, the information display boards from the session are available to review.
Calgary's west ring road
Is this project part of Calgary's ring road? While the upgrades to Bow Trail are required now, the new Bow Trail design will allow a seamless transition between the future West Calgary Ring Road and Bow Trail.