John Laurie Blvd. N.W. Restoration & Reconstruction
Shaganappi Tr. to 14 St.
As part of The City’s life-cycle maintenance and major roads restoration program, we’re completing pavement reconstruction and restoration work on John Laurie Blvd. N.W. Improvements will include road restoration and rehabilitation of John Laurie Blvd. from Shaganappi Tr. to 14 St. as well as full intersection reconstruction at Brisebois Dr.
Construction will begin in late Spring 2021 and completion is scheduled for Fall 2021.
This project will improve roadway operation, safety and surface characteristics of the roadway between Shaganappi Tr. and 14 St. and help to ensure the road continues to be safe, functional and in great condition for years to come.
The project will include:
- Pavement rehabilitation and restoration of approximately 4 kms of John Laurie Blvd. between Shaganappi Tr. and 14 St. N.W. to provide a renewed surface that should not require major maintenance again for 10 to 12 years.
- Pre-installation of underground traffic signal infrastructure at Brisebois Dr., Charleswood Dr. and 19 St. intersections. The signals underground infrastructure is being installed as part of this project to reduce future costs and impacts to the traveling public. Signals will be installed when warranted in the future after a detailed analysis is completed.
- Installation of high-tension cable barriers in the median on both sides
- Installation of water feedermain casing under John Laurie Blvd., which will allow Water Resources to install the new water feedermain without further disruption and excavation of John Laurie Blvd. in the future
- Replacement of any catch basins, manholes and valve tops and streetlights that are damaged or in poor condition
- Realignment of the entrance to Nose Hill Park to provide safer access to the park's parking lot
- Various pathway upgrades and a new connection at Shaganappi Tr.
The majority of the project length was rehabilitated previously in 1997. The segments closer to Shaganappi Tr. were paved in 2009 as part of the Shaganappi Tr. Intersection Improvements. Localized sections of the roadway show excessive distress, including frost heave that have affected pavement performance near the intersection of Brisebois Dr.
Click to enlarge image
- Early Spring 2021: Tender to Market
- Late Spring 2021: Construction Start
- Fall 2021: Construction Completion
Please note: Construction activities are dependent on several factors. Timelines could change due to inclement weather, underground conditions and/or other unexpected circumstances. Schedule updates will be provided regularly.
Thank you for your patience during the construction period of this project.
Sign up for email updates to receive news and notices about the project.