John Laurie Blvd. N.W. Restoration & Reconstruction
Shaganappi Tr. to 14 St.
Project update - April 7, 2021
Construction is set to start in mid-May 2021 and is anticipated to be substantially completed in October 2021.
There will be various lane closures and speed reductions throughout the construction limits for the duration of construction; although, the project team has worked hard to minimize the impacts to the commuters and travellers in the area as much as possible. To assist you in better understanding the scope of this project, you can watch the Public Information Presentation video below.
Please follow all posted signage in the construction area including speed reductions and expect delays. Thank you for your patience during the construction period.
Public Information Presentation
As part of The City’s life-cycle maintenance and major roads restoration program, we’re completing pavement reconstruction and restoration work on John Laurie Blvd. N.W. Improvements will include road restoration and rehabilitation of John Laurie Blvd. from Shaganappi Tr. to 14 St. as well as full intersection reconstruction at Brisebois Dr.
Construction will begin in late Spring 2021 and completion is scheduled for Fall 2021.
This project will improve roadway operation, safety and surface characteristics of the roadway between Shaganappi Tr. and 14 St. and help to ensure the road continues to be safe, functional and in great condition for years to come.
The project will include:
- Pavement rehabilitation and restoration of approximately 4 kms of John Laurie Blvd. between Shaganappi Tr. and 14 St. N.W. to provide a renewed surface that should not require major maintenance again for 10 to 12 years.
- Pre-installation of underground traffic signal infrastructure at Brisebois Dr., Charleswood Dr. and 19 St. intersections. The signals underground infrastructure is being installed as part of this project to reduce future costs and impacts to the traveling public. Signals will be installed when warranted in the future after a detailed analysis is completed.
- Installation of high-tension cable barriers in the median on both sides
- Installation of water feedermain casing under John Laurie Blvd., which will allow Water Resources to install the new water feedermain without further disruption and excavation of John Laurie Blvd. in the future
- Replacement of any catch basins, manholes and valve tops and streetlights that are damaged or in poor condition
- Realignment of the entrance to Nose Hill Park to provide safer access to the park's parking lot
- Various pathway upgrades and a new connection at Shaganappi Tr.
The majority of the project length was rehabilitated previously in 1997. The segments closer to Shaganappi Tr. were paved in 2009 as part of the Shaganappi Tr. Intersection Improvements. Localized sections of the roadway show excessive distress, including frost heave that have affected pavement performance near the intersection of Brisebois Dr.
Frequently Asked Questions
This project is primarily a restoration and reconstruction of the road surface and pavement structure. The majority of the project length was rehabilitated previously in 1997 and the segments closer to Shaganappi Trail were paved in 2009. This section of John Laurie Blvd. is in poor condition. This project will improve roadway operations, safety characteristics, surface structure durability and rideability.
Various lane closures and speed reductions throughout the construction limits and duration of the project will be expected. There will be delays and traffic impacts for commuters travelling in the area.
Construction is set to start in mid-May 2021 and is anticipated to be substantially completed in October 2021. Please check back as more information will be provided in the coming weeks.
Click to enlarge image
- Early Spring 2021: Tender to Market
- Late Spring 2021: Construction Start
- Fall 2021: Construction Completion
Please note: Construction activities are dependent on several factors. Timelines could change due to inclement weather, underground conditions and/or other unexpected circumstances. Schedule updates will be provided regularly.
Thank you for your patience during the construction period of this project.
Sign up for email updates to receive news and notices about the project.
Connect with the project team
If you still have unanswered questions after watching the project video, you can ask them here.