Sarcee Trail and Richmond Road intersection improvements
Project update - June 14, 2021
The final phase of construction to replace temporary barriers with permanent cast-in-place concrete barriers at the Enmax and AltaLink transmission towers is complete. All lane closures and speed restrictions have been removed.
Intermittent, short-term lane closures at the intersection may take place over the next few weeks for final construction inspections and any necessary deficiency repairs.
We thank you for your patience throughout the construction of this project.
By improving the Sarcee Trail and Richmond Road intersection, we're making sure people can continue to travel through this area efficiently, after the Southwest Calgary Ring Road opens in fall 2021. Here are the improvements to this area of Calgary, after the ring road opens:
- Adds one northbound and one southbound lane on Sarcee Trail, between Optimist Park and the Transportation Utility corridor
- Improves traffic signal timing at the intersection
- Widens existing pathway along the south side of the intersection.
Click for larger image
Click for larger image
Construction of the South West Calgary Ring Road is underway. This new, major connection to Glenmore Trail and Sarcee Trail is scheduled to open in Fall 2021. In 2015, The City studied whether the future traffic volumes and patterns would change on Calgary's roads, once this new piece of the ring road opens. The study recommended improvements to the Sarcee Trail and Richmond Road intersection, which will reduce the expected traffic congestion.
In 2018, The City completed the Sarcee Trail / Richmond Road S.W. interchange functional planning study. The Sarcee Trail / Richmond Road S.W. interchange is not funded in the next 2019-2022 budget cycle. The City will continue to monitor the Sarcee Trail and Richmond Road intersection once the Southwest Calgary Ring Road and the West Calgary Ring Road are open for traffic. The interchange project will be reviewed as a potential candidate as part of the next budget cycle in 2023-2026.
- Finalize design elements: Spring 2020 – COMPLETE
- Tender and award contract: Spring 2020 – COMPLETE
- Begin construction: Summer 2020 – COMPLETE
- Construction substantial completion: Winter 2020 - COMPLETE
- Replace precast barriers with permanent cast-in-place barriers: COMPLETE
Budget approved: $7 million.
The budget was approved by Council, as part of One Calgary's Service Line "Streets".