2 St. S.W. Complete street project
Project update – November 12, 2020
Crews have finished remaining construction activities on 2 St. S.W. and the project is now complete as scheduled.
All traffic & bike lanes and pedestrian facilities along 2 Street S.W. are fully open, and parking stalls that were temporarily closed to accommodate construction are once again available for public use.
Improvements as part of this project include:
- Upgraded facilities for cyclists
- Protected and delineated bike lanes on the east and west sides of 2 Street S.W., from 12 to 26 Avenue S.W.
- Safety & accessibility enhancements
- Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacons (RRFD) at the 15, 18 and 21 Avenue crossings on 2 Street S.W.
- Traffic islands including new concrete curbs, sidewalks and accessibility ramps on 2 Street S.W. at 14, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 and 24 Avenues S.W. to slow traffic, improve sight lines and improve the safety of people crossing the road.
- Rehabilitation of deteriorated concrete curbs, sidewalks and accessibility ramps throughout the project area.
- New traffic signal at the 13 Avenue S.W. intersection
We thank you for your patience throughout construction.
See below for maps of the final design:
The City is upgrading the existing bikeway along 2 Street S.W., from 10 Avenue to 26 Avenue. This section of roadway is well used and scheduled to be resurfaced. As part of the resurfacing work, we are planning to upgrade the existing shared driving and cycling lane and install curb extensions to make it safer for people to cross the road.
These changes will improve the walking and cycling experience, provide better access and connections to key destinations in this area, and connect to the existing cycle track and pathway system.
Input from the community and the public has helped us create and refine designs for the roadway. To review the design concepts that we asked for feedback on, and the engagement process, please visit the project engagement page.
- Tender and award contract: Spring - Summer 2020 - COMPLETE
- Begin construction: Summer 2020 - COMPLETE
- Complete construction: Fall 2020 - COMPLETE
*Construction is dependent on weather, site conditions and timing of other projects in the neighbourhood. Updates will be provided regularly, but dates may change.
To receive updates during construction, sign up for the email newsletter.