9 Ave S.E. route improvements (15 St to 20 St S.E.)
Project update - July 15, 2019
Last year, we've heard from residents who have concerns about removing the speed cushions between 19 Street and 20 Street S.E. to accommodate bicycles, transit buses and emergency service vehicles. We would like you to know that we are no longer implementing this change. We have looked into other opportunities for work along this block that will improve the mobility for people travelling in the Inglewood community.
This summer, we are making the following road improvements to 9 Avenue S.E. between 15 Street to 20 Street S.E.:
- Completing the signal and concrete work including curb extensions and ramps at 9 Avenue and 15 Street S.E. Work will occur between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. until mid-August.
- In order to complete this work, the right turning lane for northbound travel at 15 Street S.E. and eastbound travel on 9 Avenue S.E. will be closed until mid-August, 2020.
- Completing pavement painting on 9 Avenue S.E. between 19 Street and 20 Street S.E. over the summer as part of maintenance work.
Benefits to the community
We are making changes these changes to 9 Avenue S.E. to improve the safety and mobility for people who bike, walk and drive in the Inglewood community.
All work will be scheduled to minimize impacts to businesses and traffic. More information will be shared here as it becomes available. Thank you for your patience and cooperation during construction.
About the project
The City of Calgary is making changes to 9 Avenue S.E., between 15 Street and 20 Street S.E. to improve the safety and mobility for people who bike, walk and drive in the Inglewood community.
We're working to accommodate growth and make our city more livable by providing transportation choices. Walkable and bikeable neighbourhoods contribute to creating vibrant, healthy communities.
In order to accomplish this, we are implementing the following changes:
- Installing bike facilities along 9 Avenue from 15 Street to the Bow River Pathway, leading into the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary and Nature Centre.
- Installing a new eastbound left-hand turn signal at the 15 Street traffic lights.
- Installing new pedestrian and bike crossings throughout the project area to make crossing busy streets easier.
- Installing traffic calming curb extensions and ramps along 15 Street.
- Installing a bike signal at the 16 Street intersection.
Click to enlarge image.
Please note that construction has been delayed until 2020.
Anticipated benefits to the community and people travelling in the area include:
- Making sharing the road among people biking and driving a safer and more predictable experience.
- Improving biking and walking connections to key destinations.
- Completing a gap in the bicycle network between the Elbow River and the Bow River.
Construction during COVID-19
Construction is scheduled to be finished late summer 2020. At this time, we continue to work with citizens and our employees to help limit the spread of COVID-19. The delivery of essential services including City construction projects is continuing as long as it remains safe to do so.
Throughout construction, we will be monitoring the situation and making adjustments as needed to ensure the health and safety for those working on the project. All construction is weather dependent and it will be scheduled to minimize impacts to businesses and traffic.
Frequently asked questions
Construction started in June and will finish in mid-August 2020. You can expect to see construction equipment and large trucks moving in and out of the area. Detours will be well signed and in place during construction.
The new facilities improve safety, access and mobility for people who walk and bike through the Inglewood community. In addition, they provide a key east to west link between the Elbow River and the Bow River, and a connection to key destinations such as the new YWCA, bus rapid transit (BRT) stations, schools, and 9 Avenue Main Street area.
At this time, no parking loss is expected, although temporary parking loss during construction could happen.
During construction, transit routes will be impacted and there will be delays to bus routes. For information on bus detours, visit calgarytransit.com
The location of bus stops will not be impacted.
This webpage will continue to be updated as the project progresses, so please check back for updates.
Learn more about other projects happening in the area
Sign up for email updates to receive news about projects in the community.