How to spot contamination
During construction, signs of possible contamination include, but are not limited to the following:
- Rusted barrels and containers
- Stained or discolored earth in contrast with adjoining soil
- Fill material containing debris
- Household trash covered by earth or industrial waste debris
- Non-earthy odors which emanate when the earth is disturbed
- Oily residue intermixed with earth
- Sheen on groundwater
- Structures such as asbestos cement pipe, abandoned pipes and underground storage tanks
If you discover contamination
As a City of Calgary Contractor, you must report any suspected contamination discovery to The City of Calgary Project Designate and to the Fire Department 403-264-1022 as soon as possible.
To report a contamination issue, call 311 or fill out the service request below.
For more information, please view our Contractor Environmental Responsibilities Package.