What not to flush down sinks, drains, and toilets
We are asking homeowners to only flush toilet paper and human waste down toilets.
This prevents unnecessary repairs to homes and City sewer systems, and allows us to focus on essential services and maintain social distancing.
- Flushing anything other than pee, poo, and toilet paper down the toilet can clog pipes and create sewer back-ups.
- Wipes that claim to be flushable aren’t. Flushable wipes retain their shape and strength, causing blockages in pipes.
- Facial tissue (Kleenex), serviettes and paper towel cannot be flushed down your toilet. They do not break down and lead to clogs and sewer back-ups.
- Bag wipes, paper towel and any items used as a toilet paper and put in your black cart. They do not belong in your green or blue bins.
Wipes clog pipes
Wipes that claim to be "disposable" and "flushable" are not. Put them in your black cart as garbage.
Keep these items out of your sinks, drains or toilets
- Diapers, wet wipes, rags, bandages
- Dental floss, cotton swabs, condoms, cosmetics
- Personal hygiene products (tampons, applicators, sanitary napkins)
- Pills and medicine - expired prescription medication
Pills and medicine should be returned to your pharmacist for disposal.
Dispose of fats, oils and grease into your green cart
- Small amounts (two litres or less) of fats (lard, butter), oils (salad dressing, marindate for meats) and grease (deep fryer oil, vegetable oil, cooking oil) should be disposed of in the green cart, not the black cart.
- Always wipe cooking equipment and scrape dishes before washing.
- Solidify oil by mixing it with paper towels, then place it in a compostable bag or paper bag and put it in your green cart.
- Cigarette butts
- Paper towels
- Children toys
- Bleach and ammonia
- Clean solvents and spot removers
- Hot tub and swimming pool chemicals
- Oven cleaners
- Septic tank cleaners
- Alkyd, latex and oil-based paints
- Lacquers, stains and varnishes
- Paint thinners, strippers and solvents
- Petroleum-based products such as motor oil and gasoline