Multi-family waste diversion resources
Whether you’re setting up a new program or looking for ways to improve, we have many free tools and resources to help.
- Subscribe to our email newsletter to receive updates and tips about multi-family waste diversion.
- Fill out an online request or contact 311 and we can discuss how we can help you.
- Download and print the following resources.
Please continue to check this webpage for new resources.
All multi-family complexes are required to recycle and compost their waste as per Waste Bylaw 4M2020.
- Recycling and Composting Guide for Building Owners and Managers to help you get started on your waste diversion programs.
- Multi-family Recycling Bylaw Requirements
- Food and Yard Waste Bylaw Requirements
Looking for a collection company?
- Check out the waste hauler directory for garbage, recycling, food and yard waste or large item pick up.
- If you already have City of Calgary service or are interested in our services, see Calgary Multi-family Waste Collection Services. We now offer recycling collection services to the multi-family sector to address all of your collection needs.
Find out if your current waste and recycling pickup service is suitable for your complex's needs, plus if your bins are the right size and collected at the right frequency. Right-Sizing Tip Sheet.
Looking for ways to promote waste diversion in your building? See our Multi-family Program Tips to encourage the proper use of bins and prevent contamination issues.
Invest in one-on-one resident engagement on waste diversion. These resources are designed to help your residents with move in and out waste diversion information.
- Move in letter for residents
- How to use waste bins flyer for residents (double sided)
- Move out checklist for residents
Educating residents on an annual basis is a requirement of the Waste Bylaw. Education tips have been compiled to help you share through your building’s newsletter or by a letter and private Facebook groups.
Tip for your residents
Making sure your residents understand how to use your program is key to its success and will help prevent contamination issues. If applicable to your property, you can share the tip below with your residents using your building newsletter, a hand delivered letter or use the information to make your own seasonal signage.
These posters can help you promote your waste diversion program and help with contamination issues. When working with your collection company, check to see if they have additional tools and resources you can use.
Each version can be downloaded in either an 8.5” by 11” or 11” by 17” format for you to print. Or to request a printed copy for you building, please contact 311. Not all resources may be available in hard copy.
Is there a poster topic missing that you would like to have? We are open to suggestions on new posters or resources that you would consider helpful to making your waste program successful. Contact 311, to let us know.