No Cost Spay/Neuter Program
The City of Calgary Animal & Bylaw Services offers a No Cost Spay/Neuter Program which provides free spay and neuter surgery for cats and dogs of eligible low income Calgarians.
To be eligible for this free program:
- The applicant must be at least 18 years of age and be a resident of the City of Calgary.
- The family household annual before-tax income must be no greater than 85 per cent of the Statistics Canada Low Income Cut-Offs (LICOs). "Proof of Eligibility" is required.
Pets eligible for spay or neuter surgery:
- Healthy cats and dogs.
- Female cats in heat.
- Pregnant cats and dogs. This is dependent on the health of the animal.
Note: For the health of your pet, we recommend that he/she is vaccinated by a veterinarian at least two weeks before surgery.
Pets that are not eligible for spay and neuter surgery:
- Unhealthy or contagious cat or dogs. This includes cats and dogs that are coughing, sneezing, have watery eyes, runny noses, mange or ringworm.
- Female dogs in heat. Spay one month after the dog's cycle is completed.
- Nursing cats and dogs. Spay four weeks after the litter has been weaned.
Services provided free of charge:
- Spay or neuter surgery for cats and dogs.
- Post operative painkillers
- Six month cat or dog licence if the animal has not previously been licensed with The City of Calgary Animal & Bylaw Services
- Post-operative medication (at the discretion of the Animal Services Centre Clinic veterinarian)
- An Elizabethan collar (at the discretion of the Animal Services Centre Clinic veterinarian)
Expenses not included with the free surgery:
- Veterinarian care unrelated to the surgery.
To apply for the program:
- Apply online
- Print an application form.
- By phone: call 3-1-1 to have an application form mailed to you.
- In person: visit the Animal Services Centre located at 2201 Portland Street S.E. Monday to Friday between 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. or Saturday and Sunday between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. The Animal Services Centre is closed on statutory holidays.
Note: If you have more than one pet, you only need to submit one application form.
Before submitting an application, ensure that you have:
- Completed all sections of the application form
- Included your Proof of Eligibility document with your application form
- Completed the Consent Form ONLY if you have selected to provide the Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment document as proof of eligibility
To submit an application:
Mail all your documents to:
No Cost Spay/Neuter Program
Animal Services Centre
2201 Portland St S.E.
Fax all your documents to: 403-268-1361
For more information or assistance in completing the application forms:
Length of the application process:
- The application will take two to four weeks to be processed.
- If you are not contacted within four weeks, please contact the program administrator at 403-268-6463 to inquire about the status of your application.
* The MEOW Foundation also has a low-cost spay/neuter program for cats called SNAP.