We offer a No Cost Spay/Neuter Program which provides free spay and neuter surgery for companion cats and dogs of eligible low income Calgarians. This program is not available for breeders.
To be eligible for this free program the owner/applicant:
- The applicant must be at least 18 years of age and be a resident of the City of Calgary.
- The pet must be a healthy cat(s) and/or dog(s), including:
- Female cats in heat; or
- Pregnant cats and dogs (dependent on the health of the animal)
- Meet one of Fair Entry's eight ways to qualify for this and several other City subsidized programs and services. Find out if you qualify and apply online at Fair Entry.
Note: For the health of your pet, we recommend that he/she is vaccinated by a veterinarian at least two weeks before surgery.
Pets that are not eligible for spay and neuter surgery:
- Unhealthy or contagious cat or dogs. This includes cats and dogs that are coughing, sneezing, have watery eyes, runny noses, mange or ringworm.
- Female dogs in heat. We spay one month after the dog's cycle is completed.
- Nursing cats and dogs. We spay four weeks after the litter has been weaned.
What does the No Cost Spay & Neuter Program include?
Services provided free of charge include:
- Spay or neuter surgery for cats and dogs.
- Post operative painkillers
- A microchip
- Post-operative medication (at the discretion of the Animal Services Centre Clinic veterinarian)
- An Elizabethan collar (at the discretion of the Animal Services Centre Clinic veterinarian)
Veternary care unrelated to the surgery is not included in the No Cost program.
If you’re pet isn’t already
licensed you will be required to do so before picking your pet up after it has
surgery. For information on the cost of licensing your animal and where you can purchase a licence please visit our pet licensing page.
To access our No Cost Spay and Neuter program, please apply online now.
For more information or assistance in completing the application forms:
- Call the Program Administrator at: 403-268-6463
- Call 311 if you require an interpreter
- Check the "Frequently Asked Questions" about the no cost spay / neuter program.
- Your application will take approximately two to four weeks to be processed.
- If you are not contacted within four weeks, please contact 311 to inquire about the status of your application.
Other Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Programs
The MEOW Foundation also has a low-cost spay/neuter program for cats called SNAP.
For more information, contact the MEOW Foundation at email@example.com or visit www.meowfoundation.com under Programs to apply online.