Share this page Print

Bylaws related to election signs

Election Signs
During municipal, provincial and federal elections, exemptions for election signage, under the Temporary Signs on Highways Bylaw, are put in place.
Election signs must comply with all other requirements, including sign placement as outlined in this bylaw.

An election sign is not legal on municipal property if it:

  • Is closer than 30 metres to any intersection
  • Is closer than two metres from the curb or edge of the road
  • Is placed on any traffic island or centre median
  • Obstructs any traffic control device or creates a traffic or pedestrian hazard.
  • Is attached to a street light pole, traffic signal pole or and City sign pole (except for posters)
  • Could be a hazard to either the person erecting the sign, or any member of the public
  • Exceeds three square metres
  • Is attached to a sound wall
  • Is lit, electrified or inflatable
  • Is permanently affixed
  • Is supported by string, rope, metal stakes or wire
  • Damages municipal property
  • Becomes unsightly
  • Is placed within 10 metres of a crosswalk that is not at an intersection
  • Is placed on a fire hydrant
  • Is attached on or within a plus 15 bridge
  • Is erected in anyProhibited or Restricted Roadways
  • Is not removed later than 36 hours after the polls close
Fines for violations of these regulations range between $50 and $200. 

Related bylaws

It is important that all registered candidates who participate in an election understand and comply with The City of CalgaryTemporary Signs on Highways Bylaw 29M97. If any signs are found in contravention, the candidate shall be held responsible for any fines levied.
This is a brief overview of the bylaw. Please refer to the actual bylaw for more detailed information. Original copies of the bylaw are available at the City Clerk's office.

Signs on private property

You must obtain the home owner's permission before placing a sign on their property and you are encouraged to obtain the home owner's permission before placing a sign adjacent to their property.

Signs and parks

According to the Parks and Pathways Bylaw 20M2003, no person shall place a sign of any kind, commercial or otherwise, in a park unless otherwise authorized.

Filing a complaint

 To report a bylaw violation please choose one of the following options:

Search Our Bylaws

To find out more information about Calgary’s other bylaws you can search bylaws by topic.