Share this page Print

Bylaws related to snow and ice

Within 24 hours after snow has been deposited, all snow and ice must be completely removed from city pathways and sidewalks. (Please see below for definitions of a sidewalk and pathway.) Snow and ice must be removed down to the bare surface of the sidewalk or pathway.

Owners and occupants of a home are responsible for removing snow and ice from the pathways and sidewalks in the front or to the side of their property. 

The owner or occupant of land adjacent to a sidewalk must remove all snow and ice. Those adjacent to a pathway must remove snow and ice for a minimum width of 1.5 meters from the side of the pathway closest to their property.

A sidewalk is that part of a street set aside specifically for pedestrian use.

pathway is a multi-purpose thoroughfare used by pedestrians, cyclists and persons using wheeled conveyances such as skateboards. 

Snow removal at rental properties

If you own a rental property, you are ultimately responsible for ensuring the sidewalks and pathways are cleared. The property owner is responsible for all charges incurred for failing to maintain your property, even if you don’t live there. You can hire a company or require your tenant to do the work, but it is still your responsibility to make sure that the work is done. The City of Calgary will still enforce the bylaw regardless if the property owner is residing at the location or not.

Warning notices & failure to remove snow

If you receive a Warning Notice for failure to remove snow and ice from a sidewalk or pathway and do not remove it within 24 hours, The City of Calgary workforce will be instructed to carry out the work and the cost will be invoiced to the property owner. Failure to pay this will result in the cost being added to the property taxes.

A minimum flat rate of $150.00 plus GST and an administrative fee will be charged for the snow clearing.

Snow & ice related bylaws

Snow and ice removal is regulated under the  Street Bylaw (under section 67). This page is an overview of these regulations. Please refer to the actual bylaw for more detailed information. Original copies of the bylaw are available from the City Clerk's office.

Filing a complaint

How to file a complaint and what happens to it

If you know of a bylaw infraction and would like to report it, please fill out the above form, call 311 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary).


Search our bylaws

To find out more about Calgary’s other bylaws, search bylaws by topic.