We have created bylaws related to untidy properties in order to maintain safe and clean communities, that people want to live in. Below is a summary of our regulations that relate to untidy properties:
- Loose garbage, yard waste, bottles, cans, boxes,household furniture, packaging materials, parts of machinery, equipment, appliances and automobile parts must be stored so that they are not visible from outside of the property.
Accumulation of offensive material is prohibited. This includes animal remains, animal feces and materials that create unpleasant odours or are likely to attract pests.
- Open or exposed storage of industrial fluid is prohibited — including engine oil, brake fluid, antifreeze or any hazardous materials.
- Refrigerators and freezers stored outside must be locked or have the doors removed and must not be visible from outside the property.
- Building materials are not allowed to accumulate unless the owner can establish that construction or renovation is taking place or imminent. The materials must be stacked in an orderly manner and the amount of material must be reasonable for the planned project.
- Dilapidated vehicles are prohibited anywhere on private property unless housed inside a building (Land Use Bylaw).
Fines for violations of these regulations are between $100 to $500, depending on the violation.
Our untidy properties regulations are found in part 4 of our Community Standards Bylaw.
This page is an overview of this bylaw. Please refer to the actual bylaw for more detailed information. Original copies of the bylaw are available at the City Clerk's office.
Filing a complaint
How to file a complaint and what happens to it
If you know of a bylaw infraction and would like to report it to Animal & Bylaw Services, please call 311 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary).
Search our bylaws