Keeping Calgary neighbourhoods beautiful is one of our top priorities. Below you can find a summary of our regulations surrounding weeds.
- Private property owners must ensure that weeds on their property are under control and do not spread to other properties. This includes the area from your property line to the centre of any street or alley.
- Private property owners must control the growth of noxious weeds and must destroy any prohibited noxious weeds on their property.
- Dandelions are no longer considered a noxious weed under the Weed Control Act. Bylaw Officers can only issue a warning to property owners if the dandelions are over 15 cm in height.
- For violation of the weed legislation, Bylaw Officers may issue Remedial Orders to property owners to take corrective action regarding weeds on their property. Non-compliance of an Order will result in the City taking corrective action and the property owner will be responsible for any costs incurred.
- If necessary, a violation ticket requiring a court appearance may also be issued in
accordance with the Weed Control Act.
A complete list of plants that are designated as prohibited noxious and noxious can be found in theWeed Control Regulation.
Preventing and Controlling Weeds
If you find an invasive plant, remove it and place it in the garbage. Do not place it in a composter, this just contributes to the seed spreading. More on how you can fight invasive plants.
The City of Calgary YardSmart provides guidelines for beautiful and healthy yards by using an environmentally friendly approach to yard, lawn and garden care.
For more detailed information, please refer to the Weed Control Act S.A. 2008, c. W-5.1 , the Weed Control Regulation and the Community Standards Bylaw which regulate weeds within Calgary.
You may also view the Weeds, Trees and Grass video below or consult the Good Neighbour Reference Guide for more information about weed regulations and other community standards.
Filing a complaint
How to file a complaint and what happens to it
If you know of a bylaw infraction and would like to report it to Animal & Bylaw Services, please call 311 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary).
Search our bylaws