Applying for a taxi licence - Requirements
To apply for a Taxi Driver’s Licence, you must visit the Livery Transport Services office
and produce a valid class 1, 2 or 4 Alberta Driver’s Licence and original proof of eligibility to work in Canada such as:
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Canadian Citizenship card or certificate
- Canadian Permanent Resident card
- Current Work Permit
All documents must be originals, with matching names and spellings. If applicable, name change documentation must be provided.
After providing documentation, you may register for the Livery Driver Training Program. This program focuses on driver safety, passengers with disabilities and relevant bylaw information.
A training course fee is payable at the time of registration and includes all course materials and exam rewrites, if required.
Attendance for the Livery Driver Training Program is mandatory. A final grade of 80% on each module is required to successfully pass the program.
Addtional taxi and limousine licence requirements
All applicants are required to complete the following requirements:
- Calgary Police Service Information Check – This is completed at the Livery Transport Services office and relevant fees apply. A favourable recommendation from Calgary Police Service is required in order to obtain a Taxi Driver’s Licence. Applicants can expect to wait approximately two to three weeks for their Calgary Police Service Information Check to be returned to the Livery Transport Services office. A Taxi Driver’s Licence is not issued until a recommendation has been received.
- GST number – Applicants are required to declare a GST number to the Livery Transport Services office. Applicants can obtain a GST number through Canada Revenue Agency by calling 1-800-959-5525 or in person at a Canada Revenue Agency office.
Once all post training qualifications are completed, a Taxi Driver’s Licence may be attained. Licensing fees apply.
The first Taxi Driver’s Licence is valid from the day they obtain it through to their next birthday. Subsequent licences will be issued yearly from the driver’s birthday. All Taxi Driver’s Licences must be renewed upon each expiry.
Important information about your licence application
It is important to note that if an application for a taxi or limousine licence is not advanced by the applicant for thirty (30) days, then the application is deemed abandoned and the application fee is forfeited to the City.