The following is an overview of the training materials and resources available for Calgary AfterSchool.
Calgary AfterSchool Training
Note: The Social Emotional Learning and S.A.F.E courses are currently under maintenance. Please check back later for details.
All Calgary AfterSchool program staff should be certified in Social Emotional Learning and the S.A.F.E. principles. To learn about these two courses click on the links below. These online Courses are FREE.
Course 1 - What is Social and Emotional Learning (15 minutes)
Course 2 - How to implement Social and Emotional Learning using the S.A.F.E. principles. (2 hours)
Note: If you need to take a break, return to where you left off by using the index.
References for the Social Emotional Learning courses are available here
Alberta Health Services Food Handling Course
Access 3 - 6
Access 3 – 6 is a route of access for registered non-profit organizations to offer quality after school programming for school age children, youth, and families, in Calgary schools prior to 6 pm on weekdays.
Who can apply?
Registered non-profit organizations and community groups that meet the following criteria can apply:
- The program increases the supply of recreational (physical activity, drama, dance, art, music) activities available to children and youth by offering a new program or by enhancing an existing program.
- The program is offered weekdays between 3 – 6 p.m.
- The program has appropriate adult supervision consistent with the activity and at least one staff member has a valid First Aid Certificate.
- The program is accessible to all school age children and youth in the community.
- The school location requested supports the needs of the community and the program aligns with school outcomes.
- To ensure equal access, the program is offered at a no fee for participants. A nominal membership fee may be applied.
- The service provider meets The City of Calgary's terms and conditions for insurance, deadlines for cancellations, and permit requirements.
Which times are available?
Weekdays - 3:00 - 6:00 p.m.
Please note: One evening a week and up to two weeks each term are reserved for "school use" and are not available for bookings.
For more information about Access 3-6, please contact Calgary AfterSchool
Phone: 311 (outside Calgary: 403-268-2489)
How to apply:
- Download the Access 3-6 Application for Use
- Complete the form and email to Access3email@example.com
The deadline to submit applications for Winter/Spring (Jan – June) programs is November 20th, and for year-round or fall (Sept–Dec) programs June 1st. Applications received after these deadlines will be considered. Applicants will be notified within three weeks of the outcome of their application.
Applicants may submit more than one application per program to secure facility space. Please complete one application per location requested.
Successful applicants that are issued a booking permit will be responsible for paying the $8.50 per hour (plus GST) fee for each booking. If the booking occurs at a school where a caretaker is required to work overtime to facilitate access, caretaker overtime costs will be charged to the permit holder.
Learn more about Calgary AfterSchool: