City Hall School is a week-long custom educational program for Calgary students in grades three to 12. Students will spend a week at the municipal building, learning about local government and so much more.
About City Hall School
Delve into a world of learning opportunities with your students. City Hall School provides a wealth of opportunities for students and teachers to participate in the public realm, becoming informed and civically engaged citizens. Teachers and students work with planners, policemen, social workers, historians and aldermen, to name only a few, as they learn what it means to be a Calgarian.
City Hall School is about much more than understanding the structure of our local government. This exciting, versatile site is rich with possibilities and offers a wealth of opportunities for connections to any subject area:
- Develop a community for the future, or learn how cities grow and change, with the help of City of Calgary planners.
- Enhance your study of Waste in Our World by working with personnel from Water Services or Waste and Recycling.
- Explore career possibilities through Human Resources and the Youth Employment Centre.
- Learn to slow down and look deeply by examining works from the Civic Art Collection or a heritage building on Stephen Avenue.
- Examine and discuss social issues with issue strategists from Community and Neighbourhood Services.
Each week at City Hall School is custom made to complement your yearlong program.
Grades: 3 - 12
Location: Calgary Municipal Building
Cost: $750 per class ($850 for independent schools) - includes transportation (bussing)
Special Requirements: Participation in the program is through an application process - please see the Campus Calgary web site for further information.
Teachers who have been accepted into the program are strongly encouraged to attend "City Hall School for Teachers." This free, two-day summer in-service is held during the first week in July and will assist them in the planning of their City Hall School week.
Deadlines: For the 2013-2014 school year:
- An Information Meeting for teachers new to Campus Calgary and Open Minds will be held on Wednesday January 30, 2013 at the Calgary Board of Education Ed Centre. Doors open at 4 p.m. – program from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm
- A Proposal Writing Workshop will be held during Teachers’ Convention on Thursday February 14, 2013 from 12:30 – 1:45 pm in the City Hall School classroom
- Application Deadline for 2013-2014 school year is April 9, 2013
For more information, contact Jody Danchuk at 403-268-3270.